Ethereal 03: Surprising Sixteen!

Chapter 3

Shun's Point Of View

Something woke me up. Some kind of crashing sound— as if a someone had broken in. I kept staring at the cieling, trying to decide whether or not it was my imagination. Then I heard it again. The shrill voice —like a terrified shriek— rang through the empty house and then I heard footsteps running towards her room.

Instantly, I got up, threw the blanket aside and darted out of my room.

Once outside, I found myself running behind Sue, who probably just like me, heard Naeko's shout and was rushing towards her room, grabbing her flowing night gown which was preventing her from running at her top speed.

Our house was more like a mansion surrounded by lush green garden. There were atleast fifty rooms— all but 3, unoccupied. I seriously wanted to kill Naeko for choosing the most farthest bedroom of the house. And that too, the cornermost one on the top floor.

Soon enough I found myself leading the way with Sue behind my trails. By the time we reached her room, silence had prevailed. I was so worried thinking about what must have happened that I did not care to knock. I just banged through the door, making it loose from the hinges.

"Naeko? Are you alright?"I scanned the room to look at her.  I glanced at her bed to find it empty.

Tension rising up my body, I looked around just to find her near the bay window— which was actually not a bay window— staring intensely outside with wide eyes. I was both shocked and relieved.

Thankgod she is alright but what is she doing on the floor?

Instantly my foot made me run towards her; anxious to decipher the emotions expressed on her face.

Her chair had fallen backwards and she was down on the floor with her hands behind her torso to support her in a sitting position.

I went and crouched beside her. When I was agreabally seated beside her, I finally looked at her closely and found out that her eyes had broadened and small drops of tears were streaking down her small but beautifully illuminated cheeks. I pushed the single strand of hair which was nearly trying to enter her eyes to the back of her ear.

Wow, beauti-- I suddenly realised what I was thinking. I must have been out of my mind to think about something as low as that, and that too at such a trivial moment. I shoved the thought out of my mind and tended to her.

"Are you alright? What happened?" I asked her pulling myself back to present.

She just nodded and kept her eyes unwavering. I extend my hand to support her and realised that she was shaking badly. She wouldn't tear her eyes off the night sky, not even while answering me.

"Did something happen Naeko?" I asked her again and in return there was only silence. Curiosity got the best of me and I stood up to look outside the window. What was it that disturbed her so much that she would scream?

Finding nothing peculiar outside, just dark and cold night sky, I closed the window , which I thought might have been causing her to shiver. Then I bent down and picked her up in my arms. She didn't resist, didn't even look elsewhere. Her body felt light and tiny in my arms. Her head lulled on my shoulders as I carried her.

I laid her on her bed and covered her up with the blanket. Still when she didn't utter a word, I started to leave, "sleep tight." I said and went towards the door.

I had already given up on her talking. I will ask her about it tomorrow. I thought, Wonder if I will even get the time to? That reminded me why I was going to be busy the other day. I stopped for a second and turned my neck as much as possible.