Chapter 33

The tantalizing smell of meat pulled me from darkness back into the world of the living.  Ummmm, deer meat.  I opened my eyes and turned my head slightly towards the aroma to see a table filled with delectables.

"I told you that I would bring back some dinner." Deliah upon seeing me awake, began fixing me a plate of the tasty feast that was laid out.  I raised up on my elbow and astonished that no pain was present as it was earlier.

"Wow, I can actually pull myself up without help.  What in the world was in that medicine Seena gave me?"

"Who knows, she is a lady of many talents when it comes to healing medicines.  She would put some of the royal doctors to shame."  Deliah brought over a folding chair next to me holding the plate.  My mouth was watering and my stomach was growling waiting for me to consume the food that I was staring at. "Let's see if you can feed yourself." Deliah handed me a fork, I was able to reach for the fork but when I tried grabbing the fork with my fingers were unable to keep hold.  After three attempts, I was frustrated and switched to my left hand with somewhat better result.  I wasn't able to hold the fork between my fingers but I was able to grasp the handle with my fist jabbing at the slices of cut up meat and shovel it into my mouth. It took longer to eat this way and Deliah said nothing through all of my frustrated sighs and a couple of whoops of triumphant.  After I was finished, Deliah took the plate back over to the table and came back to resume her position on the chair.

"Celina, you will get better. You need to give your body time."

"I know I'm blessed for even being alive, but this is frustrating.  Plus, time is not on my side.  I need to get better quick.  People need me."

"People need you to get well first.  You will not do anyone any good if you are not  one hundred percent healthy."

I listened but I knew that time was crucial and if I could speed up my recovery then that is what I needed to do.  I need to know if the Halder pack is ok or if the king has already sent the assassin back to destroy them for harbouring me. I put my hand under the piles of blankets and yanked them off of me. "Deliah, I need to see if I can stand."

"Celina, I think you should wait.  Let me go get Seena, Korin, or Keagan to help you.  I think it is to soon for you to try this." I ignored Deliah's warning and pulled my body up to a full sitting position.  I stared down at my legs and tried wiggling my toes.  At first there was no movement but a couple more attempts and sending mental messages to my toes, my big toe on my left foot jerked. I smiled and looked at Deliah and pointed at my toe.

"See Deliah, I think I'm ready to try this out. It will be ok.  Remember I am a warrior. I will just take a couple of steps then I will get back into bed and then you can go get Seena." I figured that if I can control the little movement of my toes then moving my legs would be easy. I picked up each leg with my hands and swung them to the side of the floor.  I could feel the coolness of dirt floor and I wiggle my toes a little more.  I braced myself on both sides of my body with my hands and pushed off until I was standing up in front of Deliah. I smiled over boastfully at her letting her know that I knew what I was doing. I then picked up left foot to take a step forward but my leg refuse.  Instead my legs begun to shake and before I knew it I had crumpled to the floor.  Pain shot throughout my body causing me to scream.  Deliah rushed forward and was kneeling beside me offering me comforting words.

"What the hell do you think you are doing!" we both looked up to see Keagan seething with anger. He ran over and scooped me up putting me back into the bed.  The jarring of my limbs caused me to whimper more. "Deliah go get Seena, now!" Keagan angry, green eyes fastened back onto me. "Celina, what were you thinking? Do you know that you might have caused your body more damage trying to push it too hard too fast? Why didn't you call for me before you tried something like this?"