Chapter 15

My head was throbbing; it felt like someone pounded my head with a sledge hammer.  I tried opening my eyes but was greeted with blinding white light.  I tried again this time only peeking through my lids as my eyes slowly adjusted to the overhead lighting.

“Celina, you’re awake.” Jules voice floated to me from my right.  I tried to rub my head to alleviate the throbbing but I couldn’t move my arms.  I tried to move legs and they couldn’t move either.

“Jules why am I chained to the bed?”

“Tell me what the last thing you remember?”

I squeezed my eyes and tried to think about my last memory. “I can’t my brain feels like it has been scrambled.”

“Do you remember what my high guard weapon is?” I tried to think again pulling out the image from my muddled mind. A flash of Jules twirling with a baton popped in my head.

“Baton?”

“Yes that right! You remember anything else?”

“I remember you whiny about not be able to use your weapon.” I grinned.

“Shhhh! Somebody might hear you.  You promised that was our little secret! Do you remember how pissed Trevor was when we met up with him?”

Trevor. Trevor.  Flashes of his angry golden eyes appeared in front of me and the kiss.  I turned slightly red remembering how good that kiss felt.

“Why you turning red?”

“Nothing. Ok I remember Trevor yelling at me for taking off but nothing else.”

“What about a silver wolf?”

Silver wolf? A pair of silver eyes floated in front of me. Mate! I began jerking at the handcuffs fighting their resistance. “Jules get these cuffs off me now!”

“I’m afraid he can’t do that.” Uncle Thadius dismissed Jules and he scoot a stool next to my bed.

“Uncle I need to see him.”

“I know and you will but not right now.  There is something we need to discuss.”

“How about you tell me how it is possible that I have a mate. You  told me all of the royals were killed?”

“Yes and I firmly believed that until now. Korin is Brant’s son and his mate is a royal.”

“So my mate is half royal? But I thought it wasn’t allowed for royals to be with other wolves unless they were mates.”

“Brant’s true mate was killed years before he met Korin’s mom.  When he found her, she didn’t have any memories or markings.  He took her in and they fell in love and she agreed to be his luna.”

“Who is she? Do you know her?”

“Yes I know her very well.  We grew up together and we all thought she was killed in the first attempt Kristoff made to overthrow your mother. We lost a lot of  people that day. When we couldn’t find Pristine we assumed she also got killed and swept away by the river.”

“But I don’t understand, why didn’t she have her royal mark?”

“Honestly I don’t know?”

“Why don’t you to tell me why you shot me?”

“Celina, there are some things I neglected to tell you because I thought they were unnecessary. The mating process was one of them.”

“Ok, explain now.”

“Celina when a queen finds her mate, well she has to mark him in order to truly become queen.”