Chapter 10

Author's Note

I put a picture of Thadius royal symbol on the side.  

___________________________

We left the pack house a few hours ago nearing the outskirts of the first town along our route to the western borders. Our esteem leader, Devon, was the lead squad leaving my squad to bring up the rear.  Of course if I was running this mission I would always have the strongest warriors in the front and in the back in case of an ambush and to prevent the enemy from breaking us apart.  But I’m not the leader, Devon was and he reminded us constantly.  At times like this I was glad I didn’t share a mind link with the Halder pack.  Devon and his squad were the only ones going into town to talk with the mayor to discuss any potential dangers or sightings of rogues in the area. 

“Hello beautiful.” the familiar voice was accompanied by an arm wrapping around my waist.  I instinctively pushed away the assailant.

“Chris, what brings you to the back of the line?” I quickly step back to increase my personal space.

“Hey, why are you treating me like this? You still not mad about the cliff thing? Are you?” Chris pouted a little but I didn’t respond.

“No, but this  is not the time nor place for playing around.  Shouldn’t you be with your squad?”

“Everyone is taking a break.  It will be another hour before Devon gets back from town.  Just wanted to see how you were holding up?”

“Oh I see you are fishing for some dirt?” rolling my eyes.

“Hey Chris what are you doing here?” Karen greeted her friend with a hug.

“Hey Karen, please help me out. I was just trying to say hello to Celina here and she doesn’t trust me.”

“Look you only came back here to get some information from me.  So how about you just ask whatever it is you want to know.” I was getting tired of playing games.

“I just thought you should know that they are betting on you.” Chris shrugged his shoulders.

“Betting on Celina? Are you talking about that bet with Devon?” Karen inquired.

"I hope they put their money on me.  I’m sure I will kill more rogues than Devon.” I wasn’t worried about the bet.

Chris laughed, “Oh no that is not what they are betting on.  Everyone knows that Devon put your squad at Casper Rock which will be the least likely to see a rogue.  They are betting on what kinds of things Devon will have you do when he wins. So tell me what do you think he will make you do?”

“Well I don’t have time to play games right now.  We should be focusing on what lay ahead of us not what stupid things Devon will ask me to do if he wins.” I walked away leaving Chris with Karen.

There are advantages to being at the back of the group.  The fact that we are not going to Casper Rock will go unnoticed.  Another fact was that while everyone else shifts into their wolf, we will be the only ones who’ll remain in human form.  After Devon’s return we traveled for a couple more hours to the last town that had seen the rogues.  Devon left a squad there indefinitely to thwart any future attempts to attack the town.  The rest of us continuing west for another thirty minutes until we reach Devil’s Point.  Here is where everyone scattered to their assign post until dark waiting for the appearance of rogues. They have been seen every night for the past four nights crossing onto the Halder Territory.  I mind linked with my uncle who was already scanning the area around Casper Rock.  The plan was that my uncle would cover our assigned area, Casper Rock, while my squad goes to the caves where Devon’s squad will be hiding.