Chapter 19

I focused on my target in front of me glancing down at the row of throwing knives laid out waiting to hit their mark. Blue eyes appeared in front of me and I let all of my frustration out throwing one knife after another through the mirage. The blue eyes shimmied and swirled replace by the image of Trevor kissing our mate! I roared with fury increasing the quick succession of each knife that left my hand hitting the target fifty feet away. Several emotions threaten to rip me apart as I thought about the last couple of days. I have been waiting to find my mate for years. And what should be the happiest time in my life has turned into a nightmare. I always wanted my mate to be beautiful and strong. Someone I would be proud of to be my Luna and the mother of my children. Ugh!!!! An image of Celina holding my child disappeared and was replaced with an image of the King standing over her lifeless body. There was no way in hell I would risk the life of my mate on a civil war. I have to make her understand how pointless it was to go against the King. I have seen with my own eyes over the past few weeks how ruthless he was. Did she really see what she was up against? Death. I was submerged in it and the atrocities I saw still haunt my dreams.   Once the king ordered a pack to be destroyed, they left no one alive. I shuddered as I thought about the charred remains of the young pups and babies from the white moon pack.  

I shut my eyes closing my mind off to the sickening memories I witnessed over the past month. I have to get her away from Trevor and make her see my side. I would use force if necessary if she refused to be my Luna. Tonight I will mark her first. She will forgive me over time and understand that what I did was for the best.

The door open as Devon knocked cautiously his eyes trained on the throwing knife I had in my hand. 

"Is it safe for me come in?" I dropped the knife back on the tray crossing my arms staring at my beta. The beta who betrayed and attacked me. Me!

Devon cleared his throat averting his eyes, "I'm sorry about the other night."

I took two steps and was directly in front of Devon. "Tell me what you are sorry about? Are you sorry that you tried to keep me away from my mate? Or are you sorry that you dare to even attack me?!" I ended the last word with a menacing growl.  Devon flinched but didn't back away.

"Yes I'm sorry for all of that. But I would do it again." Devon looked up at me with defiance causing the last strands of control over my wolf to snap. My hands flew to his throat as I crashed him to the wall his body went limp.  Devon refused to engage my wolf, "Are you finished." I let him go and roared with frustration.

"What has she done to everyone around here? She has turned everyone against me." I grabbed the throwing knife and mindlessly hurled it across the room. I gripped the edge of the table trying to calm the raging wolf inside of me.

"Korin, I know you don't want to hear this.  We are like brothers and I know that you have been waiting to find your mate.  But this is bigger than you.  Celina and who she is.  It all bigger than us.  You have to come to grips with this bro.  Celina is the future queen and you are our future king."

I turned around facing Devon. "I can't Devon. Why don't you all understand that. If I go down that path it only holds death and destruction.  I don't want that life for my mate.  We are suppose to live here safe from all the travesties that is happening out there." Devon placed his hands on my shoulders shaking me.

"Shit Korin! Take a look around! Those 'travesties' that you want to keep her safe from, well guess what it is knocking on our back door.  How long do you think you can keep her safe in this little bubble.  You've been out there.  The king is coming for us and eventually he will find her here.  Then what? Yes you may be happy for a few months and even years but what happens when he finds out she is here.  Do you think he will leave her alone?" I broke free from Devon's grip and turned back to the table to resume my throwing.  Devon remained quiet while i threw the knives at the target.

"Korin, how will you feel when the king finds her here and she can not protect herself?  If you mark her first you will kill the wolf inside of her. Tell me how will live with yourself after that?" The door slammed marking Devon's exit. Devon's words seeped in creating doubt and uncertainty.  I will keep her safe at all costs.  I can protect her even if she doesn't get her wolf. The words holding less certainty. Damn!