31. Depression Kills

if you like to get offended by people who share different opinions on depression and cutting, dont read this. or better yET DONT WASTE YOUR TYPE TIME BECAUSE I WILL COMMENT WITH A TWO SECOND "lol" WHICH IS BASICALLY THE EQUIVALENT OF "your opinion wont change mine so fuck off i truly dont care".

31. DEPRESSION.. OKAY.

DEPRESSION IS BASICALLY feelings of severe despondency and dejection. We're not gonna get into the thing with cats or whatever, nor are we gonna make it more philosophical than it is. Depression is simply as I put it above. Maybe there is a more elaborate definition but that's what Google gave me and Google is typically right.

But, a lot of people think it's cool to write about it in their main characters going through deep depression and romanticizing it and cUTTING and hoe my god. This will seriously make me reevaluate everything I knew about Wattpad. This is a thing. Really.

I can admit that I used to read these types of stories. I was going through a time where I was new on Wattpad and I wanted to experiment and these came up and I thought they would accurately demonstrate depression.

.. They fucking don't. So I'm gonna start.

It makes me so angry when people try to make depression.. more than what it is. I'm not saying depression isn't a huge thing, because it is a huge deal and it touches a large percentage of people. I'm saying.. Like trying to get all deep and emotional about it. For some reason, that just pisses me the hell off. Don't ask me why because it just does.

"Depression is like drowning in your own piss-" Fuck off. I'm not kidding. This makes me very fucking angry. Depression is not like drowning and not knowing how to swim. Depression is depression. That's it. No more, no fucking less.

IF IT'S POETRY I CAN UNDERSTAND BECAUSE C'MON IT'S FUCKING POETRY! But that's the only case. Let's not try to make a regular condition seem like a sonnet-worthy thing. It's not.

Then, depression isn't being properly portrayed. Most stories just go over the "feeling sad" aspect and doesn't factor in the other aspects and it kind of sets me off.

Depression isn't just feeling sad, and people don't understand this when they need to. Depression is more than mood. It is sleeping patterns, how it affects your body. It is behavior. It is cognitive dissonance. It is in the aspects of weight. Understand this. RECOGNIZE THIS.

And no, I don't mean saying "I'm fine" and not really feelings fine when I say cognitive dissonance. Let's get it together. I don't see the point in this either.

AND FOR THE MOMENT I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR..

(This is the point where people will begin to hate me buut I don't care.)

.. Cutting. This word just has me going "Oh.. kay."

These make me cringe.

I don't like cutting. At all. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and I don't really see a point in it like I used to. But, I explain all of that bELLOOWWWW.

So, let's get started on this cutting dilemma.

The girl starts the story in the bathroom - probably wiping up blood from cutting. I mentally cringe, but okay. She keeps this whole thing to herself - WHOOP ALREADY A FUCKING RED FLAG.

She doesn't think that it's a good idea to talk to her parents or see a psychiatrist. She just wallows in her own depression and complains about how she isn't fine or whatever. I don't know.

I just wouldn't sit and allow myself to be depressed. I would try to get the help I need to make myself feel better. I would hope other people would do that too oh gOD.

Then, when they start cutting, I get pissed.

As a person who cut themselves in the past, I can now look back and say that I regret it so much because it's such a ridiculous thing to do. Cutting yourself literally helps nothing and doesn't benefit you in any way. It's not a "release of stress", because cUTTING DOESNT FUCKING RELEASE STRESS? PLEASE SHOW ME THE STATISTICS.

They don't prove much of anything. They just show "hey, I'm depressed, and instead of seriously talking to someone about it, I drown myself in self-pity". You're not hurting anyone but yourself and the people that care about you. If anything, if your depression is caused by other people and bullying, I see it as "letting them win" and that's not good soOoO.

I remember the "it" thing back in like 2012 quality-blogs tumblr was to post pictures of your scars and make this long ass inspiring caption. I guess I can see a bit of point to this (maybe telling your story will encourage people to stop cutting and be happy with their inner selves), but the freaking pictures of the scars was a fucking hell no from me. That has got to be the most triggering thing ever.

But of course, opinions differ.

THEN THEY CALL THEMSELVES TRYING TO TURN AWAY ALL THE HELP OFFERED TO THEM!

Idk what it anti-depressants do to your body or how they make people feel, but I just don't understand why these people refuse anti-depressants. THEY'RE HELPING YOU SO WHY STOP TAKING THEM!

Unless they don't affect your body.. Or don't make you feel any different. tHEeEeEen maybe.

AND WHEN THE DUDE CALLS HIMSELF TRYING TO KISS HER SCARS. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.

That is not freaking cute at all. Nor is it romantic, nor does my heart feel touched. Instead, I'm disturbed and I basically skip the chapter.

Although I think it's pointless, cutting is a very serious thing and it shouldn't be romanticized. If some freaking dude kissed my "scars", I would probably cry. Not a happy cry, but a mad cry. That wouldn't make me feel happy. I would feel absolutely murderous.

But maybe we have people into those kinks idk.

Finally, boys don't solve mental illnesses, as I've previously explained. So when I see these stories where the girl is like "WELL. I HAD SEVERE DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY AND I MET ASHER REED AND NOW IT'S GONE YAY I'M HAPPY NOW."

What the hell. I feel awkward.

I'm not saying that they don't motivate you and attempt to help you with the process - like that's a good fucking boyfriend right there. He's a keeper. Find yourself a guy like that.

But a guy doesn't make depression vanish, I'm sorry. Sounds nice, but no.

I feel like for that, you just need to find your inner happiness and stick with the positives. Positive vibes. StAaaAaAyYyYyYy positive.

SO YEAH IF YOU READ THESE STOP BECAUSE IT IS VERY CLICHÉ. PLUS THEY JUST GENERALIZE DEPRESSION AS BEING SAD AND WHATEVER AND THATS NOT OKAY.

-

Remember, I don't think depression doesn't make sense, I think cutting doesn't make sense. SO NO ONE TRY TO TWIST MY WORDS AND THINGS OML