Chapter 44

Chapter 44: Underground Camp

Adeline Mills

"How long has it been?" I glanced at my wrist and sighed.

"5 minutes, Al." I replied and he glared at me.

"You're not even wearing a watch!" He exclaimed and I growled at him.

"Nag off. I'm frustrated and scared, Ok?" I snapped and his face suddenly softened up.

"Lo siento." He apologized and I just shrugged him off.

It finally hit me, about a couple hours ago, that my fate was sealed. I was to kill Peter Pan, and myself in the process. I would never see my family again. I would never become queen like I was destined for. I would never successfully be able to use a sword and win a match against Killian!

Everything dawned on me in a split second, and when it did, it was as if everything in my life dissolved away. Everything I once hoped for, a family, a kingdom, a husband, I would never get.

Because I would make the ultimate sacrifice.

"When do you estimate Tink will return?" Alejandro asked and scrunched my eyebrows.

"I expect tomorrow at the most."
I replied softly. Al said nothing.

"Those bloody savages got close to camp today." Tiger Lily growled as she walked into the tent. I immediately knew she was talking about the Lost Boys. From what Tiger Lily has told me, they haven't stopped looking for me since I went missing. I assumed they are under Pan's orders to find me.

"Will they be able to cross the borders in?" Alejandro asked and the Indian girl shook her head.

"No. The spell protecting us is too powerful. But for precaution, we're going to have to take camp underground." She said and I suddenly raised an eyebrow and looked up at her.

"Underground?"

"Yes, as in underneath the dirt." She snapped back and began to grab my small things a.k.a my satchel, my story book and the Pure One's dagger.

"But how-"

"How do you think we have survived, Adeline? Pan doesn't even know we still are on the island." She said and I stayed quiet as she grabbed my arm and began to yank me away. I groaned as soon as the hot Neverland sun hit my face. It was the first time the sun had hit me for a while and it nearly blinded me.

Once my eyes became accustomed to the harsh light again, I managed to see my surroundings.

The Indian's rushed around, packing the easily built tents and swinging them over their shoulders. The fires that were once lit were flushed out and were being covered with dirt, and many people began to walk towards the meadow where the Pure One's vault laid.

But before we even got close the Chief, Tiger Lily's father, stopped and moved a giant boulder, only to reveal a wide, deep hole in the ground. Small glow stones were plastered on the edge so a thin light lit the way down. One by one, the Indian's slid down tge slide like tunnel.

Once Tiger Lily, Alejandro, and I made it to the front, Al slid in as if he had done it plenty of times. I debated whether it was a smart idea to fall in.

"Why can't I just-"

But then Tiger Lily pushed me in.

I couldn't even scream. Instead I laughed as I slid down. For once, the only happiness I got was by sliding down a hole. Pathetic.

When I reached the bottom, I tumbled out and landed on Alejandro, who was barely standing up, only for me to knock him down again.

"Sorry, Al." I said as I leaped off him. His face was twisted in a pained one but he managed to give me a forced smile before he managed to say,

"No problem, princessa."

I began to examine my surroundings and it was impressive how the Indians managed to achieve this.

It was like a giant underground cave. Thick ceiling, think walls, it seemed as if nothing could destroy this place. There were many tents around, like up above and small fires as well. Animal skins were drying near the fires on a string, and there was even a stream flowing through the under ground camp.

"It's amazing." I breathed out and Tiger Lily chuckled as she landed off the slide.

"Our ancestors created this place for protection. Nobody besides us know where it lies and there is a short cut to the beaches over there." She said and pointed to the far end of the place.

"If you keep walking, in half a day, you'll be able to reach the beach." She informed and I nodded.

"Impressive." I said but I couldn't say more for Alejandro grabbed my arm again and began to drag me away and straight to a tent.

"This one is yours." He said and shoved me inside. I frowned as I realized I was going to be stuck in this tent like the last one.

"Does Tink know the way here?" I questioned and Tiger Lily nodded her head as she walked in.

"Of course. She knows exactly where this lies. Rest, your highness, we have a big day tomorrow." She said and with that, they both left my tent.

And I was alone.

~

"What is it?"

"That's a guava."

"....what's a guava?"

"A type of fruit."

"It doesn't look like fruit... and why is it pink?"

"That's just the color it is, Addy. Don't they have these type of fruits in Oz?"

"No, in Oz we have bacon, eggs, and hotcakes for breakfast." I snapped and fixed the napkin that sat on my lap. We were expecting Tink back any moment now, and Alejandro had managed to piss me off before breakfast by telling me how much of a demon he thinks Pan is. For some reason, it got me all riled up. I knew I had feelings for Pan but I didn't exactly think they were positive feelings...

"Do you think Tink had any diversions while retrieving the Squid Ink?" Alejandro asked and I shrugged.

"Beats me." I mumbled and we fell into a peaceful silence. I began to think of my life here in Neverland but then remembed I rather not. So instead I began to think about the people I met here... so far, they were all assholes.

"Al, I don't mean to pry, but are you and Tinkerbelle an item, of some sort?" I asked when I remembered how cozy the two seemed the other day. He gave me a confused look.

"What? I don't understand..." He said and I narrowed my eyes.

"Are you and Tinkerbelle boyfriend and girlfriend?" I asked again, this time a bit more firmer. He awed in realization and suddenly blushed when he processed the question.

"Yes." He said simply and I huffed at how vague he was being.

"How long have you been together?"

"Not long." He said again and I was beginning to get frustrated by all his short answers.

"Never mind, idiot." I mumbled and turned back to stare at the table. I saw him smile triumphantly out of the corner of my eye but that wasn't really what got my attention.

It was that Tink was running towards us, holding a bottle of dark liquid, and smiling victoriously.

She had managed to successfully retrieve the Squid Ink.

Happy 4th of July!