Chapter 29

Chapter 29: Just A Filler

Adeline Mills

Nothing had changed. The familiar dark and lonely feeling of Neverland remained tactful. It tainted me, to believe I would never leave. I began to get strange feelings arising in me. I didn't want to go home, but I also didn't want to stay here. I was torn in the in-between. Not here, nor there. The darkness of the island made me a hateful person. I began to crave the light of day.

For the first time in my small short royal life, I got a taste of what it felt like to be on the other end of society. It was awful, granted they did have their reasons, but it was barbaric. It showed our kingdom was just as barbaric as vikings in the old days. Yes, some people did try to get away with impersonating someone, which is bad on its own, but to impersonate a princess is just asking for a death wish.

Which they actually received.

I frowned at the fire in front of me as my recent thoughts had seemed to consume all of my time and need. I didn't talk, nor react to anyone or anything. Pan still seemed to make an effort but he gave up a week after I hadn't spoken a word. All around me, the Lost Boy's spoke about me as if I couldn't hear them.

"She just sits there..."

"Betcha she's on her time..."

"Eww..."

"Reckon they stole her voice."

"Like Ariel?"

"Exactly."

"...I miss the little mermaid..."

That got my attention. I had heard of Ariel back home during my princess studies. Regina once stole her voice and hadn't given it back for centuries! That poor mermaid gave up afterwards and came back to the waters of god knows where. Her whereabouts had been lost in the tracking of the curse. Rumor has it that she came back to Neverland after her prince was killed in a storm.

"Pretty thing she was..." the lost boy said. I believe his name is Foster. I turned away and walked to my tent.

I bet the little mermaid returned to the waters of Neverland. I opened my book and looked her up.

Neverlands Secrets
~Chapter 10: The Little Mermaid

As you have read previously, Neverland's waters are filled with magnificent creatures. From the giant squids, to the little mermaids.

Most mermaids, along with sirens, are considered the devils of the ocean. They drown those who are impaired against each other and drown sailors with no mercy.

But there is the little mermaid, Ariel.

Ariel is the seventh daughter of King Triton. Radiant red hair, bright blue eyes, she is considered the beauty of her family. But as looks come, her naiveness is strong as well. She, unlike the rest of the merfolk, didn't believe in the form of drowning. She is the only trustworthy mermaid there is.

She one day traveled to the Enchanted Forest. Her father had allowed her to leave the ocean of Neverland and travel for her 16th birthday. There, she met the infamous princess, Snow White, who Ariel actually saved her life. Snow White tried to help Ariel get the attention of a prince of a nearby kingdom, but ended up costing her voice to none other than the Evil Queen, Regina Mills (as you have read about in Tinkerbelle's chapter).

The queen stole Ariel's voice because she tried to help the runaway princess, Snow. The Little Mermaid hasn't had a voice to sing from.

She remains mute to this day.

Really Regina?

Bloody hell, how many people's lives did she try to destroy?!

I shut the book and got lost in thought.

This book contained valued information. So valuable, that if Pan got his slimy hands on it, it could be fatal for me.

I frowned and shook my head. No he can't find it. Ever. I waved my hand over the cover. Nothing. I mentally slapped myself for forgetting that I had absolute no access to magic.

I threw the book under the bed and laid faced down. I screamed into the pillow out of pure frusteration.

Keep yourself together, Adeline. Don't lose your mind. I told myself.

I grabbed a cloak and tied it around my neck. I then grabbed grip of my bow and some newly sharpened arrows. I walked out of the hut.

"Take this off me." I commanded once I saw Pan. He looked up from his scrolls and raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

"You heard me. Take. It. Off. Now." I hissed slowing and threateningly. He placed his quill down and gave me a small sarcastic smile.

"Now why would I do that princess?" He asked in a fake sweet voice. I had to resist the urge to smack him till he bled.

"I need to go for a walk to distract me. Please, I'm asking as a favor." I said, now more calmly, yet my inner demons were fighting to escape. He stared at me for a while.

"Fine. Let's make a deal."

"Another one?"

"Yes. I'll take the cuff off in exchange for a kiss."

"Done." I said without even thinking it. His eyes widened and he began to gulp like a fish

"Wha-Really?"

"I have no morals anymore seeing as I'm never going to leave this bloody place; I need to go clear my mind." I said and before he can even respond, I leaned in and slopped my lips up against his. I pulled away before he can even process what was going on. I looked back up to his face and see it's completely frozen. I raised an eyebrow and waved my hand with the cuff up in his face.

"Hello? Come on, Pan I don't have all day." I snapped. His frozen expression doesn't change as he grabbed hold of my arm and, as if in a trace, removed the cuff.

I gasped in satisfaction and rubbed the redness away from where the cuff print was. I moved my gaze up towards Pan again. He still seemed in a daze. I rolled my eyes and said nothing else as I walked out of camp, the lost boys' bewildered expressions eyeing my back.

~

To get a mermaid's attention, or any sea creature in general, you grab a sea shell and whisper into it. You whisper what you desire and whom you wish to see, and if the ocean thinks your worthy, it summons who you seek.

I looked at my floor and smiled when I saw a perfect sea shell. I grabbed it and walked to the edge where the ocean water hit my boots. I licked my lips and began to whisper over and over Ariel's name. I stopped after 6 chants and waited. Silence. I began to think I wasn't worthy so I picked up my bow and arrow and with a scowl on my face. I suddenly stopped when I heard water movement.

I froze and turned on my heels.

There, in the middle of the water, was a curious looking redhead, who had a fish's tail, instead of feet.