Chapter 2

Chapter 2: Dancing

Adeline Mills

"A ball?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. My mother nodded and clapped her hands lightly.

"It'll be fun! You'll get to dance, wear a beautiful gown, and your aunt can do your hair." My mother said with her British voice. I huffed.

I had an identical accent to hers.

"But I don't even know how to dance."

"Merida can teach you."

I scoffed. Merida? Dance? Oh please. She'd rather bite her own hand off before she learned to dance. I said nothing and kept quiet instead. Maybe pretending to 'learn' dance moves from Merida won't be so bad.

"Sure. Why not?" I said with a fake smile. My mother clasped her hands together and turned to me.

"You'll be the belle of the ball, darling."

"Sure I will." I said sarcastically.

~

"What is this ball even for?" I asked but then suddenly yelped as the maid laced the corset way too tight. I glared at her and she quickly loosened it. She glanced at my mother to make sure she didn't notice. She was afraid of my mother. Everyone was. Serves them right. She was what they called, The Wicked Witch Of The West. Not anymore, but she did do some evil things in the past.

One included tricking my father into making her pregnant with me.

How lovely.

"It's the anniversary of when the war between the realms came to an end. Everyone will be there and so will you." She said. I mentally groaned.

"How early are we getting there?"

"Very early. Regina asked me to help with the planning of something." I glanced at my mother through the mirror. Whatever she was going to discuss with my aunt, it's probably important. If it wasn't, she would've told me exactly what they were going to talk about. My mom tended to leave me out of big stuff, like what war we are starting next.

Or if it has to do with him.

"All finished, your grace." The girl said. I nodded and looked at myself in the mirror.

Simple, yet pretty. It had dark feathers at the top and a dark green for the skirt and was strapless.

All in all, I looked good.

And my hair wasn't even done.

"Can I just do my hair? All Aunt Regina is gonna do is use magic. I can do it!" I said. Mother smiled and nodded in agreement. I happily turned back to the mirror and waved my hand. As the smoke of the magic disappeared, my light brown curls were up in a formal, yet messy bun, with baby curls hanging out. My make-up was done as well; neutral colors, with a nude light pink for my lips. I slipped on the tiara and turned to my mother, who approved.

"Lets go. You still need to learn to dance."

~

"Ha! Dancing! Aye couldn't dance even if ye paid me!" Merida's Scottish voice boomed. I laughed and agreed.

"What do you want to do instead then?" I asked, bored. Mer sighed and shifted the skirt of her dress. It was a light blue princess gown with gold linings. Her hair had nothing done to it, because of its curly mess. She struggled to move in the heels her mother made her wear, but I brought a pair of black flats that I knew she would need. On my own feet were a pair of matching flats.

"Tha sun's goin' down. We have about 3 hours before the bloody ball starts." She said. I picked up my bow and a couple of arrows before gesturing towards the targets.

"Couple rounds, redhead?" I challenged. She grinned and picked up her own pair.

"Bring it, greenie."

~

"Never again will you ever shoot arrows in a ball gown!" My mother scolded. I scowl but say nothing. In the process of pulling back the string of my bow, I heard a small rip.

And I knew it was the stupid dress.

Now here I was, getting it fixed by my mothers magic.

"There. Good as new." She said.
I stepped off the small platform and slipped on my black heels.

"Now be prepared, the balls about to begin!"

~

"This isn't so bad? Isn't it? The foods good, the ballroom looks pretty, and the music is soothing... its not that bad."

"Ye know, repeating it over and over isn't going to make it all better, Adeline." Mer's voice snapped. I frowned slightly at her and looked back to the scenery. People danced around to the sound of the orchestra and some people, like me and Merida, just stood around and talked.

"Look, there's Preppy." She whispered under her breath as she stared intensely at a certain spot. I causally look over and see Rapunzel and her boyfriend, Eugene, dancing together.

"You know dancing actually looks like fun. If you know what you're doing." I whispered back and Mer rolled her eyes and huffed loudly.

"Hey, who are those people?" I questioned as I nodded my head in the direction of the new people. Mer turned and scrunched her nose.

"It's tha new people. Aye guess he got a new territory to rule. As if he didn't already ruin ours. Anyways, that's tha king of tha area. His name is like, Stoick, or somethin'. Tha queens name is Valka. And aye think they have a son around our age." She informed. I hummed and looked away.

"Look, there's Henry!" She exclaimed. I looked up and saw the 14 year old, dancing with a girl I knew as Violet. I smiled. His mother, Emma, also the only daughter of King David and Queen Snow, had gotten pregnant at the age of 18. She was now at the age of 30, and was to get married and crowned soon. She was going to take over the job of her parents.

"Adeline, aye have to wee! Aye'll be back soon!" Mer suddenly informed before leaving my side. She walked away all while mumbling something about the stupid punch. I chuckled to myself lowly and stood by myself, waiting for my redheaded friend to return.

"Your majesty?" I sharply turned my head over and my eyes slightly widened.

A boy, my age, stood before me. He had brown hair, darker than mine. He had emerald green eyes and had a strong jawline. I said nothing and he chuckled.

"May I have this dance?" He held out a hand and I stared at it. Not wanting to be rude, I took it and he pulled me out to the middle of the ballroom. I glanced around, nervously, and looked back to him.

"I'm sorry, I don't know how to dance." I whispered lowly. He smiled kindly and took my hands gently. He placed one of my hands on his shoulder.

"Take your other hand and gently pick up the top of your skirt." He instructed lowly. I nodded and smiled. I followed his instructions and he began to lead. I giggled as he suddenly picked me up and spun me. I landed on my feet perfectly and grinned at him.

"I'm sorry, I never got your name." I said sweetly and the boy chuckled.

"Sorry, your highness. My names Haddock, Hiccup Haddock. I'm the heir of the kingdom of Berk."