Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Orientation (Part 3)

DAY 3~ Survival

Adeline Mills

There are many things that could go wrong while on Neverland.

A) I could end up a prisoner of Pan forever.
B) I could die.
C) Pan could take my memories away forever and I never get to see my family ever again.

Or...

D) I could end up falling in love with Pan and truely become his queen.

The thought terrified me.

Yesterday, I had failed at the final round of sword fighting. It scared me to think that, at that mere second, I would never see my mum and dad again.

"No, it's ok, love. I'll let this one slide. Please, you are hurt; go to my hut and get some rest. We'll continue tomorrow." Pan said yesterday when he had healed my injuries. I didn't protest as he led me away from the Lost Boys.

But today, was my finally day of orientation. I finished up my weaponry test and then the survival one begins. As soon as I finished slipping on my boots, I walked out of the hut and grabbed an apple and a canteen filled with water. I made my way back to the clearing to finish my job.

"How are you feeling, love?" Pan asked as I walked into the clearing.

"I'm fine, thank you. I have honestly felt worst." I admited and gulped down my water.

"So where's my bow?" I asked. Pan shook his head and I frowned in confusion.

"Wait, wha-"

"Love, it's obvious you are going to hit each target. You are the daughter of Robin Hood. It's in your blood, darling. Now, all you have to do is pass the survival test." I smiled and nodded.

"Thank you for understanding, Pan." I said quietly. He suddenly smirked and leaned against a tree.

"Oh, back to Pan, I see." I rolled my eyes and huffed.

"We never left 'Pan'." I said with a hard voice and he just laughed dryly.

"Keep telling yourself that princess." He said and suddenly, all the Lost Boys poured out of the forest. I walked out to the middle of the circle and huffed.

This is it.

The last test.

Orientation: Day 3.

Pan walked up to me and stopped right in front of me. He then gave me my satchel, the one the shadow had brought with me when he kidnapped me to Neverland. I took it and realized he had placed inside a small knife and a compass. He then handed me a spear and a cloak.

"You are to spend three days out in the Dark Jungle. You are to hunt and search for your own food and shelter. When your time is up, I'll go looking for you." Pan explained as he took the cloak from my hands and wrapped it around my shoulders. I nodded and clutched onto my things tighter.

"Good luck, love. Dont get hurt." Pan said and leaned forward to kissed my forehead. My eyes widened and I gulped.

"Yeah, t-thanks. Bye!" I said and speed walked into the jungle...

Where I'm sure I'm going to die.

~

"Breath, breath, breath, breath..." I chanted to myself as I stared at the creature in front of me. It stood on its hind legs and growled. I gulped and grabbed my spear.

"Great, just what I needed. A bear attack!" I cursed under my breath. The bear roared at me and I stupidly fell on my butt. I screamed and lifted up the spear just as the bear leaped at me.

I expected to feel pain.

I expected to be dead.

I expected defeat.

What I didn't expect to find was Tinkerbelle in front of me and a dead bear with an arrow going straight through its heart. I gasped for air, my heart beated uncontrollably. Tinkerbelle turned to me, not a single emotion on her face.

"Come with me." She said plainly and began walking straight into the jungle. I didn't hesitate to follow her, seeing as the survival test was harder than it seemed. I walked behind her, the awkward silence killed me. I opened my mouth to thank her and ended up stuttering.

"Thank you, T-Tinkerbelle." I said softly. She suddenly stopped and turned around. She stared at me for a while with a blank face, before suddenly giving me a gentle smile.

"Call me Tink."

~

"If I didn't know any better, I would think Pan actually likes you!" I gagged and fell out of my chair. Tink giggled softly and I frowned.

"The tea must've gotten to your head, Tink." I said and placed my tea cup down. After Tink had saved me from the bear attack, she led me to her tree house, where she has lived for the past decade. It was small but perfect for Tink. It had a small table where she ate. A stove (which she somehow managed to make out of mud) where she had kindle for a fire, a hammock where she slept, books and other random stuff scattered around. She offered me to stay until orientation was over and of course I happily accepted.

"He has never done something like that though. Well, except once." Tink mumbled referring to what I had told her. She mumbled some words afterwards as well, but I couldn't make it out.

"Wait what? He has actually let someone not finish the tests and stay? Are they still alive?"

"Yes. Once, a Lost Boy named Baelfire didnt pass the fighting section and Pan was about to kill him. But he pitied him and let him stay. That was the only other time he ever did that."

"Why did he do that though?"

"Nobody knows, except for Felix, of course. Felix is Pan's right hand man. Everything Felix knows, Pan knows, and via versa." I stayed quiet. Tink took advantage of my silence and continued talking.

"But some believe that Baelfire had something to do with a bigger plan of Pan in the future."

"Really?"

"Yes, Baelfire was never meant to be a Lost Boy. He was always trying to escape this prison. Let me tell you something about this island, nobody here ever leaves without Pan's permission. It's practically impossible to leave Neverland. So when Baelfire just so happened to escape one day, I knew he didn't really escape. Pan must've let him go. But everyone, even Baelfire himself, thinks he successfully outsmarted Pan."

"I don't understand..."

"Look, Pan obviously wanted Baelfire to believe that he actually escaped. Yes, Pan made him work for it. In other words, Baelfire did find a way off this island, but Pan let him go easily. He didn't bother stopping him nor bringing him back. And now Baelfire is a legend here on Neverland. As the boy who managed to outsmart Pan." I let Tink's information sink in.

"Wait... so if Baelfire was once here, and he did find a way off this island, I can too." I said happily and stood up in excitement.

"And if he once calculated how to do so, all his information and notes must be somewhere on this island." I continued. Tink grinned at me and nodded.

"I bet all that stuff is in Bae's cave. He lived there for a while when he ran away from Pan's camp." I smiled as a wonderous plan formed in my head.

"Alright then. Looks like I now have a plan."

"What are you going to do?" Tink asked and I smirked at her.

"I'm going to become a legend too, as the first Lost Girl who managed to outsmart Peter Pan."