Chapter 38

Chapter 38: He's Leaving

Adeline Mills

I remember when I was a toddler.

It was the best time of my life. I wasn't expected to become queen of anything, I could mess around, I was the center of attention, everyone always called me cute and picked me up to cuddle with me. It was the best time ever.

Sure, they still call me pretty and cute, but it's not the same.

As I sat on a log, the only thing to entertain me were my thoughts. But even thoughts could be dangerous.

After drawing on the floor with a stick for nearly two hours, I was bored out of my mind. I then decided to watch the lost boys fix up the camp again. But now, I was bored. I wasn't allowed to do anything. Not even help. Pan said a queen wasn't made to do sweat work. It annoyed me. It was sweet that he didn't want me to strain myself, but really, I prefer to sweat blood then to sit here and be bored beyond insanity.

I stood up suddenly and walked through camp, trying to find Pan. He was always busy, looking out for more intruders, trying to find out how the pirates managed to catch us unprepared, and trying to prepare the camp back to its glorious self. I finally did find him. He was crouched over a paper, it seemed like. As I peeked closer it seemed like a map of all the realms combined. I crooked my head and my face suddenly scrunched.
It looked as if all the realms were molded into one huge realm. I could make out pieces of each realm. Oz's huge meadows, the Enchanted Forests' trees, Arendelle's glorious mountains, Dunbroch's stone rocks and even the Fire Falls that I remembered climbing with Merida one summer. I even saw the fountain of youth which I knew only exists in the Caribbean. I shook my head and mentally scoffed at myself. It was impossible to combine many realms together. It can't and has never been done. I ignored the papers and instead tapped on Pan's shoulder.

He must've been so into his papers, for he jumped up and rushed to block the map. I raised an eyebrow but ignored his strange actions. I was too bored and over heated and annoyed to care about a single thing at the moment besides myself.

"Peter, let me do something. I'm bored." I snapped and crossed my arms to show for effect.
I thought he was going to fight back but instead he looked up and ignored what I said.

"Adeline, I have to make a trip to one of the realms to... settle a deal and-"

"Wait. Can I go?" I squealed as I gave him my best puppy eyes and pouted my lips.

It did nothing for him.

He ignored me and I knew I had to take things to the next step. So I puffed out my chest a bit and battered my eyelashes.

"Pleeeaaassseee, Peter. I don't want to stay here. Come on, I'm desperate." I whined and I saw him roll his eyes. I knew I was acting like a whiny bitch but if this was the only way I'll be able to get off this island for even a second, I'll do anything.

"Maybe for a kiss..."

"Whoa, Ok, not that desperate, buddy." I said while pushing him away. I heard him chuckle a bit but he still shook his head.

"Addy, it's business. When I return, I promise to do something special for you. But this is important and you are going to stay here with Felix under his protection and I do not want to hear you complain about it." He snapped. I frowned and crossed my arms again.

"Fine. Leave me here to rot and die." I said dramatically and turned sharply on my heels and left his side. I angerily go back to my log and plopped myself down. From a distance, I could see Felix staring at me with a non-describable expression.

Pity? Caution? Head for the hills? Either way, I didn't like the look he was giving me.

It was as if he was pleading with his eyes to run and hide.

Instead I decided to eat a mango.

~

"You know, I'm going to be gone for a while."

"I know that." I mumbled as I stared at my hands. They were small, tiny compared to Peter's. As I inspected them, I could hear Pan behind me, rustling through his stuff.

"You're really not going to give me a kiss, huh?"

"Not in a million years."

"Not even if I promise to bring you back a book...?" I perked up and look at Peter as he smiled slyly at me.

"What kind of book?" I mumbled slowly and cautiously. He chuckled and shrugged.

"Which ever book you want, love." He said. I smiled and stood up. We were in his tent as he prepared to leave for his business trip or whatever he was doing.

"Fine. But just one quick kiss. And you have to bring me two books." I said, laying down the rules. He nodded his head and I slowly leaned over. I then decided against the whole idea but it was too late for he captured my lips with his own. I gave a small chuckle and kissed back. It didn't last long for I didn't allow it. When we pulled away he smiled cheekily at me and I huffed.

"I'll bring you whatever you desire, my queen." He said in a low voice. I smiled and began to list the things I 'desired'.

"Just bring me those two books. And some cake. Apparently, you think cake isn't necessary for a girl." I said and he nodded he seemed to mentally remember my list.

"I promise I'll bring you everything. Felix will watch over you." I nodded and watched as Pan stepped out of the tent with a pack full of his things. I followed lead and stood back as he gave a speech to the Lost Boys.

"I have to go on a trip. Felix is in charge, listen to him, obey him. If I hear you stepped out of line, punishments will happen." He said with authority laced in his strong voice. Everyone nodded and turned back to what they were going. Pan gestured Felix over and walked away from me so I couldn't hear his instructions.

But I'm pretty sure Pan was threatening Felix that if I had a single scratch on me when he returned, he would break his arm.

Pan walked back to me and I smiled softly.

"If you forget my books I will never forgive you." I said seriously. He chuckled but nodded his head.

"Let's go, love." He said and he called the Lost Boys over as well. We all started walking to the beaches.

Once we arrived at the familiar beach, we watched as Pan took off flying, giving me one last smirk as he headed to the second star to the right.

And for a slight moment, I felt at home with Pan gone.

But then I remembered I was on Neverland.

And this is no such place to call home.