Christmas Morning

"It's Christmas! It's Christmas!" I heard running through the halls. The door burst open, scarring the life out of me. Clearly, it had the same effect on Mettaton, who looked like a deer in headlights. Two small children came running at us. "It's Christmas!" They both yelled.

"Darlings, I am very aware of that." Mettaton said yawning.

"Come on! Let's go downstairs!" Frisk said.

"You two go down, we'll meet you there. Oh, and close the door on your way out." I said, barely awake. The kids rushed out, closed the door, and we heard footsteps getting further away.

"Thanks babe." Mettaton said, sinking back into the bed. I wrapped my arms around him, and snuggled up next to him. He moaned softly in enjoyment. I nuzzled my head into the crevice between his neck and shoulder. I slid my hands onto his stomach, under his shirt. He starting giggling. "Papy! That tickles!" He shouted. I dug my head further into his neck, and wrapped my arms tighter.

"Merry Christmas, my beautiful angel." I quietly said into his ear.

"Merry Christmas, my precious cinnamon roll." He said to me. I loved mornings with Mettaton, and Christmas morning with him was even more special. He turned to face me, and I pulled him closer to me. He kissed the bridge of my nose. I chuckled and admired him in all his perfect glory.

"I love you, Mettaton." I said, leaning up to kiss his perfect lips. I gently placed my lips on his.

"I love you, too." He chuckled. His hand raised up to stroke my hair. I laid my head on his chest, and listened to his heart beat. It was so calming, so peaceful. This tender beating. The sound that means we're alive. I thought as I listened. I rubbed my hand over his chest. He looked over at me lovingly. We both pulled each other in closer. We could have stayed like that forever.

We almost fell back asleep before Napstablook knocked on the door. "Come in." Mettaton yawned. The door opened slowly revealing Napstablook in a Christmas hat.

"The kids are downstairs. Also, my therapist is coming over later." He said quietly.

"Alright." Mettaton stretched his arms. "I suppose we should get out of bed." He said as Napstablook rolled away. I sat up, so that I could reach near Mettaton's height. We got out of bed, and headed downstairs, holding hands the whole way down. I liked when we held hands. It reminded me of when we first started out, when we were both extremely awkward and blushed at about every interaction we shared. A time before Napstablook got involved in that accident, before we started daydreaming about an actual future, and before whatever gossip is about to go around. The kids were playing and enjoying themselves. The tree was fully lit, and the house smelled of cinnamon. I took a deep breath of it all. The sights, the sounds, the smell, the experience.

"It's very beautiful." I muttered under my breath, barely able to produce sound in my awe.

"I'm glad you like it." Mettaton said, lightly bumping into my arm. His phone started ringing in his pocket. "If you'll excuse me," he said, as he answered the call.

"Hello?" There was a pause. "Are...are you serious?" His voice cracked, like he was getting choked up. "On Christmas?!" I couldn't tell if he was sad or angry. "I'll...I'll deal with this later." He sighed. "Of course I'm sure!" There was a small pause. "Did it update or not? It didn't? Great, then we won't know if it's true or not." He noticed me behind him. "I'll call you back if there's any news. I said 'I'll call you back'!" He sighed in anger, stuffing the phone into his pocket.

"Are you okay?" I asked, laying a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm fine." He barked back, brushing the hand off. I didn't know what to think of this. I had never seen him so angry before.

"Mettaton, please, just talk to me." I pleaded. He stopped moving, his back was towards me. "Mettaton, what's going on?" His fists clenched.

"Papyrus, please, just...I don't want to talk about it." He said softly, but there was anger in his voice.

"Won't you at least ta-"

"Papyrus!" He turned to face me completely. "Just shut up! Can't you just do that? Can't you go five minutes without trying to help everyone? Some people just don't need help!" He fired back. He doesn't mean it. It's just his emotions getting the better of him.

"Mettaton I-"

"I don't want to hear it!" His eyes were filling up with tears. "You should just leave!" He pointed to the front door, as the water escaped his eyes. I froze where I stood. I didn't know what to do. For once in my life, I was clueless as to how to help. "Just...go! Okay?" He shut his eyes and ran off. I didn't know what to do. "Merry Christmas, Mettaton." I sadly muttered as I exited.

The walk home was a solem one. I dug my hands into my pockets and tried to fight back the tears. "Papyrus?" A familiar voice asked. I was too sad to look up, or reveal my face. "Papyrus, what's wrong?" The voice repeated.

"It's nothing." I fought even harder against the tears that were fighting a war to escape.

"Did something happen with your boyfriend?" The character stopped me in my tracks, forcing me to look up. I sighed.

"He was just...acting different." I confused to Muffet. I tried to dodge around her. She kept following me, however. She reached into her pocket and clicked something, which I decided to ignore.

"Care to specify?" She asked curiously.

I sighed. Might as well get it off my chest. "He...lashed out at me. I'm not sure why." I felt myself choke up. Tears started streaming down my cheeks. "Something happened, I don't know what, I tried to help...I really did. Something was different. He usually doesn't act like this, I mean he gets upset, but so does everyone else, he doesn't get this angry." The tears came more and more as I continued walking. "Muffet, I think I just need to be alone right now. If you don't mind, I'm gonna head home."

"Oh, I understand, don't worry I have everyth-" She cut herself off, "I have every piece of evidence to understand why you need your space." She smiled. "Toodles!" She waved as I walked away. 

The walk home seemed to take forever. Maybe I should call Sans. No, he'll just ramble on about unfortunate times and the intensity of Megalawhonow. I got inside and slumped at the door. I hate sulking, but it was the only thing I could do. I decided to go to bed early that night, not sure of anything anymore.

------------------------------------------------------

(4/5 people surveyed asked for this. The sixth person didn't give a damn 😃. Hope your stocking up on tissues and breakup playlists because WOO! See you in the next update, my lovelies!

~Hayley)