I'm Sorry

I woke up with another headache. It was really starting to get annoying.

I sat up, sleepily, then searched for my glasses. I could tell that there was someone there but I just thought it was Jack so I asked if he could pass me my glasses and he did but when I put it on I didn't see Jack.

I saw Kale.

"Kale?" I asked, my throat scratchy but besides that my heart started to beat irregularly at the sight of him. I licked my lips, my eyes flickering to the window for a second only to see that it was daylight outside.

"Hey." He said, softly.

"Hey..." I murmured, then looked down at my hand, wondering if he was still angry with me. I was about to say something but then he reached for my hand.

I looked up at him, shocked.

"I'm sorry." Kale said, squeezing my hands. "I'm sorry."

Then he got up and sat next to me on the bed and wrapped his arms around me. "I'm sorry." Kale whispered in my ear, burrowing his head into my neck passionately, then started to kiss at the base of my neck, repeating the words 'I'm sorry'. My heart felt ready to burst from agony and longing. I clutched onto his shirt and fought the tears that were making their way to my eyes.

Kale suddenly pulled back and then gently kissed my lips. I closed my eyes as he kissed me deeply. He grabbed my face with his hands, then leaned his forehead against mine. "I'm so sorry."

Is this a dream? Please, God, don't let this be a dream.

"Kale?" I whispered, "why? I thought... I thought that you hated me?"

"I never hated you... I've been being a dick. I know that and I should have listened to you and defended you better and I regret not doing that. Please, I know I don't deserve forgiveness but-"

I shook my head, smiling like an idiot. "No... it's fine... this is what I've been waiting for."

Kale let out a relieved breath. "I'm not too late then?"

I gave him a confused look, "late?"

Kale nodded, "I thought Jack would steal you away..."

My smile faltered. That's when it started to hit me....

Jack?

Jack...

...Jack.

The hand of guilt wrapped around my heart suddenly, squeezing, but I shook my head despite the feeling. Jack and I kissed... how long ago was that? When did I pass out?

Uh. Oh.

"No... of course not."

Kale smiled and then hugged me tight. I turned my head to the right that faced the door and through the open door I saw Jack. He was watching us... in his hand was a gift no doubt for me. Our eyes connected, I saw hurt in them but he hardened his eyes, smiled... smiled? Why is he smiling? Was that a happy smile? But then he turned, winked, then paused to give me one agonizing look before covering it up and walking away.

The look in his eyes haunted me.

I breathed in and out, scared. Scared for what the future held for me and for all of us. I didn't know what was waiting... there was so many things going on and I didn't know where I would be tomorrow or the week after. But Kale, the one I love, is holding me and apologizing. It's all I've wanted for the past few weeks but now my stomach is twisting. I've never felt so unsettled in my life.

Now when I close my eyes I see that final look in Jack's eyes.

And it scares me.

It wasn't the fear of Jack hurting me but the fear that I just hurt him; the fear of guilt that was clenching my heart at this very moment. As Kale whispered his apologies I whispered an apology to him, to Jack, and to myself.

This isn't going to end well.

For any of us.

It might even end with my death. 

"I love you, Choca." Kale said, then kissed me again. 

I closed my eyes, a tear escaped and fell down my cheek.