Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five

"Toni?" Zayn looked at me, concerned. "What's wrong?"

"Uhm..." I bit my lip and held up my finger to show that I'd tell him once I was done. I crawled over to the corner of the limousine that no one was at and hit 'talk' as confidently as I could, even though I knew David wouldn't know the difference. "Hel---"

"WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ABOUT?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I kind of knew he'd act like this. I was delusional to think he'd calmly look past the fact that I'm in California with Zayn, going as his date to an awards ceremony.

"You read the article?" I said as normally as possible. Maybe if I acted as if nothing was the matter, it'd at least tone David down a notch or two.

"The hell I did!" he shouted. "How could I not have when not only is five copies of it sitting on my doorstep and every entertainment news channel is covering it?"

"Really?" I asked, trying to change the subject. "Every single one? My, One Direction really is popular, aren't they?"

"Don't mess with me, Toni," he hissed through the phone. "Not only are you his date, but you also supposedly are pregnant with his damn child? What the fuck is going on over there?"

I flinched when he flat out swore. He's never done that before. Not towards me. He really was upset, wasn't he...?

"Come on, David..." I muttered. "No one believes that crap anyway. I read an article about the prank earlier today and they let it be known that it was, in fact, a prank. So everyone knows it is. And why do you even care, anyway? You know I'm not. That should be all that matters."

"Well, Toni, it's not all that matters. I can't help it. Every single one of my damn friends are hinting that they think you're nothing but bad news. That you're cheating on me. That you're sleeping with that friend of yours."

"Zayn?" I whispered, but I looked up for a second to check my surroundings. Everyone was enthused with their own conversations, but Zayn was now watching me, since he heard his name. I bit my lip and looked down at my lap again. "I'm not sleeping with him. Why would I do that? I'm with you."

"Well, that hasn't stopped you from getting cozy with him before, now, has it?"

"When have I 'gotten cozy' with Zayn? Ever?" I furrowed my eyebrows in frustration.

"That prank you and him pulled at the mall the other day isn't the only news that's been going around," he dryly laughed. "Let's just leave it at that."

"Okay," I sighed. "David. You're smart. I know you are. So I know that you realize that being in a relationship with me, who is friends with some celebrities, is going to cause rumours to go around. Why is this coming off as such a shock to you?"

"I don't know, Toni!" he said. "I don't know. Just... fix it. I love you with all my heart and soul, you know that, but I want you to prove that you feel the same way. Tone down the rumours."

I shouldn't have to prove anything to him.

That's what I should've said, but all that came out of my mouth was an, "I will." and then the line went dead.

I took a deep breath and turned to face everyone else. Zayn still had a sympathetic yet curious look on his face. I mouthed to him, "I'll tell you later."

Thankfully, he understood, because he leaned forward, looking ahead, rubbing his hands back and forth nervously. I'd like to assume that the nerves he was plain-as-day getting were from the fact that in a few minutes he'd be on a red carpet, strutting his stuff with his four best friends. Or, as any of them would say, 'mates'.

I didn't want to think that the reason why he looked so out of sorts was because he was worried about mine and David's relationship. I don't want anyone to be worried. It's my problem, and I can deal with it. I'm independent.

"Hey, Toni?"

I looked over and saw Addison watching me. "Hm?"

"I just wanted to let you know, since you didn't hear because you were on the phone, that us girls are going to be dropped off at the back entrance of the place, after the guys have been let off at the edge of the red carpet."

Good, I smiled. I didn't really want to walk on the carpet, anyway. It would help with the issue at hand.

The limo slowed to a stop, and the glass divider that kept us and the driver separated was moved to the side. Our driver looked through.

"Alright, boys," he smiled cheerily. "Good luck out there. Girls, I'm taking you 'round back."

We all nodded as the driver started to get out of the car.

"Wait!" Niall started to head toward the door. "We can open the door ourselves, thanks."

The elderly driver smiled gratefully and got settled into his seat again, hands placed on the wheel. Niall opened the door, and I saw flashes of red and camera lights, but that was it.

After Niall, followed Liam, then Zayn, and 'Larry Stylinson' came out together, which got the crowd or whatever was outside of the vehicle to go crazy. Danielle and Gemma, who knew more about the bromance, smiled to themselves while Addison and I just looked at each other and laughed, though mine was only half-hearted. Luckily, no one noticed.

Harry closed the door behind him, winking at us all before disappearing. A few moments later, we were off again.

It was only a few minutes' drive around the back, but when the driver stopped again, we were all pretty relieved. I dashed out of there, straightened up my dress and hair, and then waited for the other girls to get out. We each checked each other as another car, this one a Range Rover, pulled up, and out came Paul.

He smiled heartily at us and walked over to a double-door. He pushed them open, ushering us inside, him close behind. He led us down a hall and through another set of doors, and then we were 'in'.