Chapter Twenty-Seven

I woke up, swearing that I heard someone leaving my hotel room.

I squeezed my eyes together as I sat up, then yawned. I squinted as I looked over to the digital clock, courtesy of the hotel, on the nightstand, which read 1:53 P.M.

Just great.

I groaned and rolled out of bed, not bothering to mess with my bedhead to make it even a little decent in case someone else were here. Right now, I really don't care.

Addison wasn't in her bed, and I guess she didn't bother making it.

It, however, looked a bit more messed up than usual, which caused me to wonder what had gone on last night.... If you know what I mean.

...Just kidding.

Maybe.

I walked into the bathroom and winced when I looked at my reflection.

Okay, 'winced' is an understatement. I almost screamed at the sight of it.

After all, I looked more freaky than Freddy Kruger.

I stripped from my pajamas and got into the shower, and once I was finished with my duties in there, I got out and changed into some clothing (), then did my hair and makeup.

I left the bathroom, but when I got back to the main room, the bedroom, laying on my bed was a package.

Odd.

It was just a normal postage package, but on top was a huge pink bow. Pink isn't exactly my colour, though. Maybe it's for Addison.

But that theory was quickly shot down, because when I walked closer to the package, I saw a note on top, as well.

I walked over to it and picked the note up first.

Hey, babe. Addison told me that you were out late last night and didn't have time to go get a dress for Andy's bachelorette party tonight. So, I took it upon myself to get you a little something. I hope I did good. ;) -David

I smiled at his sweetness and opened up the package to reveal a little box that had some earrings inside it, a shoe box with stilettos (yikes...), and then lastly, under several sheets of tissue paper, there it was.

A skin-tight, strapless dress that I would never have picked out for myself. But there it was. And it was just my size, for my small frame.

Suddenly, I felt arms wrap around my waist, and I let out a small gasp. I heard a husky voice chuckle in my ear.

"Oh, it's just you," I sighed, relieved, turning to face David. He leaned in and kissed my lips quickly before smiling down at me.

"So, do you like it?" he asked, gesturing toward the dress in my hands.

I nodded. "It's very... tiny." I cock my head at it as I hold it up to me.

David smirked. "Yeah... Well, if you've got it, flaunt it." He then kissed the top of my head and then backed away. I turned and laid the dress back down on the bed.

"Hey, Toni?"

"Hm?" I sat down on the bed, facing David.

David bit his lip and put a hand in his pocket, pulling something out of it. A little black box. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Is that...?" But I honestly didn't really know what I was going to say afterward. I had no idea what it was, to be honest.

"Before you get the wrong idea..." David said slowly. "I just wanted you to know that I know we're still young. We've only been together a few weeks, but I think we can both agree it feels like a lot longer. Yeah?" I smiled, nodding. "Okay, well... I got you this."

He and I both looked down at the black box in his hands, and he opened it.

A ring.

My eyes widened, and my heart beat faster than ever before. My hand drifted up to my mouth, covering it.

"I'm not proposing," David chuckled. "I'm just asking for you to promise me. One day."

"A promise ring?" I managed to get out, my eyes not leaving the beautiful ring in the box.

"Yes."

I finally let myself smile, my eyes starting to brim with tears. Happy tears, though. I nodded, and David looked like a boulder had just been taken off his shoulders. He took the ring out of the box and took my left hand, putting the ring on the finger next to my pinkie.

"How did you pick one so... perfect?" I asked, looking up into David's eyes.

"Actually, I asked your friend, who said, and I quote, 'She loves spontaneous and complex actions, but when it comes to actual items, simplicity is best,'" David explained.

I smiled. "Yeah, Addison would know."

"Addison?" David squinted a little in confusion. "No, that's not who I asked. Your other friend. Zayn."

Just hearing his name, after what just happened, caused my heart to hurt, and I don't know why. "Really?"

"Yeah," David shrugged. "You'd been hanging out with him so much lately, I just figured he would know. And I was right, wasn't I?"

"Absolutely..." I whispered, bringing the ring closer to me. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach. Very good butterflies.

"Well," David sighed. "I didn't want to leave like this, but Jake had wanted me at the location for his bachelor party early to help set up. I'm supposed to be there at three, and it's past two. So, I gotta go. I'll see you later, okay, babe?"

I smiled and nodded. "You aren't going to a strip club, are you?"

David laughed and turned back to me. Instead of saying anything, though, he just kissed my forehead before leaving the hotel room.

Okay, then.

I turned back to my new dress, and examined the whole outfit together. I guess it's perfect for clubbing. Just not for me.