Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

June nineteenth.

Four years ago, on this day, my parents died in a car accident in Hawaii.

Four years ago, on this day, my then-twenty-one year old sister, Andy, had to step up and be the 'mother' figure in mine and my sisters, Mikaela and Macy's lives.

And just like these past four years, we aren't going to go see their graves.

It's much too painful.

We promised each other that we wouldn't even ever speak of them on this day. Just think. Pleasant thoughts. They're up in heaven, which is a much, much better place.

I lay sprawled out on one of the comfy leather couches in the makeshift-lounge area of the hotel lobby, barely listening to the news that played on the TV near me, a coffee table in between. I had my eyes closed, and I relished the air conditioning, because outside it's the scolding temperature of 104 degrees, Fahrenheit.

You'd think that I'd be upset, or at least bothered, that my sister planned for her bachelorette party to be the day after her own parents' death, but no. I'm not at all.

Andy has always had a thing for supernatural stuff, and she loves to read up on those things, and I guess she heard that old spirits, on the anniversary of their death and the near dates around it, come and watch their loved ones for a little while.

I guess, since Andy's actual wedding wouldn't be ready for this day, the best she could do was her bachelorette party, and hope that Mom and Dad would be watching.

Well, Mom.

Dad, she assured, would be watching Jake and David and a bunch of other guys that I don't know at the bachelor party.

I went along with my sister's beliefs in that, because in a way, I wanted to feel like Mom and Dad were literally right there with us then. I know they say they're with you always, but sometimes it's a comfort to hear ghost stories like that.

I wanted to believe.

"What's up?" Hearing that jerked me back into total consciousness as I opened my eyes, squinting, and saw Zayn standing over me, smiling as if there were no cares in the world.

"Apparently you are," I grumbled as I sat up, Zayn backing away so I could do so. "What are you doing here in my hotel?"

"Well, the lads and I just got finished with a meet and greet..." Zayn said coolly.

'Lads'. Hehe.

"...and we've got a jam-packed day tomorrow, no breaks, so we've been given the rest of the day off," he finished, leaning on the couch's armrest.

I ran my fingers through my hair and stood up, walking over to the fireplace, which wasn't lit. I knelt down before it and moved a few logs before picking up what LOOKED like a log. But I knew better.

I stuck my finger into the cap and pulled it open. I brought the container to my lips and took a big swig of the fruity liquid.

"Uhm..." I heard Zayn say behind me, confused as usual when I do things like this. "What is that? And how did you even know that was there, anyway?"

I shrugged, trying to keep a straight face. But I couldn't help it, so I cracked a big grin as I brought the carton back to my lips and chugged some more of it.

Then I stood up as I kicked the other logs back into place, brushing my hands on my shorts before walking back to Zayn, and smiled. I grabbed the little strip of paper sticking from the edge of the carton between my fingernail tips and pulled, taking off the wood-like disguise to reveal what I was drinking.