Chapter Thirty-Seven

Most Directioners are nice. Very nice, actually. They bring the boys presents and they fangirl over them and they tell them just how much they mean to them. It's sweet.

But others...

Well, if Addison or I went missing, the suspect list could be narrowed down to thousands of teenage girls all over the world, possibly millions.

And I'll just leave it at that.

"Are you sure you're okay with all of these death glares, Addie?" I heard Niall whisper to Addison, who was sitting beside me and behind him.

"Yeah, of course," she said. "I expect it. You're loved by many. Me, included." She grinned and leaned over to kiss his cheek, which caused Niall's cheeks to turn a rosy colour.

Zayn must've heard this little conversation, because after he finished taking a picture with one of the fans, he turned to me.

"And what about you?" he asked, concerned. "You're okay, too?"

"I'm peachy!" I grinned and crossed my legs. I drummed my fingers on my kneecaps,and smiled politely at the fans that kept coming up to the boys' table.

Some would acknowledge me and wave, or try to talk to me, or other times they might not even notice that I'm there or recognize me. And then there's the occasional death glare.

No one has actually sent any death threats, though. That's good.

But between Addison and I, I think it would be Addison that gets the death threats. I mean, she's actually dating one of the members of One Direction. I'm just a friend. That's all I'll ever be, and that's all I want to be. To any of them. I've got David, and he's who I want.

Yeah. He's who I want.

"Can I talk to Toni?'

I looked up and saw a girl my age. She looked kind of like me, actually. Tan, with dark hair. But she was model-esque, and she looked sweet. Almost delicate.

"Sure," I smiled. I slid my phone into my pocket and stood up. I walked between Addison and Niall and then around the table.

Paul stopped me, though. "I don't think you should go anywhere alone with any of the fans. You never know if any of them might be crazy..."

"Come on," I laughed loudly. "All they are is crazy in love with the boys. They aren't literally evil. They wouldn't try to kill me. Especially not... What's your name?" I turned to see the girl standing next to me. She was a bit taller than me.

Yep. Definitely model-esque.

"Dakota," she smiled politely, slight dimples showing on her cheeks.

"Dakota," I repeated. "Especially not Dakota."

Paul eyed me for a moment before sighing. "Okay. Alright. Fine. Go. But you have my number to call if anything happens? Paparazzi or otherwise...?"

"Of course," I said. "Besides, most of the paparazzi is probably gonna be covering the guys. Not some friend of theirs. Even if it's a girl."

"The media works in strange ways, Toni," Paul said, but then his face lightened. "Have fun. And Dakota, keep her safe, 'kay? She's one of Zayn's best friends, especially."

"I will, Paul," she giggled. "I just want to talk to her. I look up to her, you know. She's definitely my biggest role model."

Bless her soul.

She thinks I'm a suitable role model. Okay. Let me just dust off my hands. They still have some of that brick powder on them from climbing up the side of that building while it down-poured. Then we can all go hold hands and sing about how suitable I am at being a role model.