Chapter 6

Asher

I knew this day would come sooner or later. I was angry at myself for not taking notice of it any sooner. One's health had nowhere else to sprout if something happened to their mate. I balled my hands together in tight fists and slammed them hard against the windowsill, but held them there as I stared into the darkness that had been streaked with gentle drops of rain. 

Violet's entry surprised me nonetheless and my heart beat violently at her disheveled appearance. I wanted to reach out to her, but my heart tumbled into the depths of my abdomen and I was choked with absolutely nothing. Her forehead was cold and I was immediately reminded of mother. 

Putting things into perspective, I wondered what Violet would do if I were to leave her one day. Would she ever forgive me? I would have never been able to see the wonderful things that my life contained. Beautiful Alexandria and young Zayden would never see their father again. I would never see their brilliant faces. 

I pulled back to stare into Violet's eyes that seemed to have hardened. She would never understand the pain that enveloped my heart. Father's death too long enough to accept, but now it was mother's time to leave us. 

Leave her sons, leave her daughter-in-law, and leave her grandchildren. I internally scolded myself for not taking note of her declining health. 

"What bothers you, darling?" Her voice rang like velvet to my ears. I pulled her in for another hug and dug my face in her smooth hair. 

"Mother is going to see father quite soon." I whispered with my voice nearly breaking. Life without any parent is a life without security and guidance. Wisdom could not be sought whenever I desired. 

Her heartbeat filled my ears like a loud beating of a drum, desperate to be heard in the thunderous night. We stood absolutely still as if time had frozen itself and nothing was heard besides our hearts and the soft patter of rain against the glass panes. 

A breeze swept through us in a way that gestured our bodies to step apart. I glanced at her fallen face from an arms length away, but a force was preventing me from reaching out to her and comforting her. Her thoughts were too clouded to read and the trouble that had been bothering her was like a weight falling from the sky. 

"The children do not appreciate who they are." She finally gazed at me with tear-filled eyes. They were threatening to slide down any second. "Alexandria and Zayden are such angels that I was convinced they were not capable of hating or hurting anything; but rather, they were hurt and hating everything about themselves." Her body shook and I fought against the pull to step forward to hold her cold form. 

Seeing Violet like this, I vowed to myself that no more stress and sadness came her way. It was my job to prevent anything from hurting her anymore. But they are your children. 

I closed my eyes and hoped for light to shine upon us. For each person was dealing with their own reality and was stuck between a time where dreams would not always come true. 

A/N:

Hello, lovelies! I apologize greatly for not updating this story for two weeks. I hope you all have been well and enjoyed this "depressing" chapters hehehe. I'm just trying to build up some more character and maturity for the king aka Asher XD. 

Guess who's birthday it is today???? :D 

Anyway, have a great day and I hope you had a fantastic weekend. Until next time, take care of yourself. 

~Jade xoxo