Her Lost Identity [3] ~ Introducing Lilian

... because she's amazing, she's one of my top wattpad friends(: she's really nice and knows how to make one feel better. You guys should fan her :P

A/N: Thank you for the support, hope you enjoy this chapter! :D

Chapter 3

We were all sat at the dinner table, giving each other awkward looks and fake smiles. I still hadn’t had a proper conversation with Nathan, I just didn’t know how to. I couldn’t help myself but feel bad about lying to Jess; I’d be really pissed if I was her too. Kirsten and Jack obviously weren’t happy about me going back home to Ohio, the looks they exchanged made it clear to both me and Nathan. After dinner, Kirsten cleared up the table and Jack fixed up a conversation with Nathan. Or at least, he tried.

“So, Nathan, do you have any future plans for you and Cass?” Jack asked Nathan, folding his arms and showing real interest in to what he was talking about. He always liked to do this. He's just protective over me, to him, I'm his little girl. But why say that to someone I hadn't met in four years? Jack. My face went bright red, my cheeks felt like they were inflated by burning stars. Nathan shifted his eyes over to me and let out a sheepish grin.

“Well, we used to be very good mates, but she left and never contacted me for four years so, I’m not too sure,” he answered, trying to sound reasonable. I won’t lie, I was disappointed. Jack looked startled yet annoyed at his response. I was too. I cleared my throat and signalled Nathan up to my room.

“It wasn’t my fault,” I told him in a monotone voice. “If you weren’t told, my mum chose him over me.”

“What, so you’re saying you couldn’t call?” he questioned, looking wound up. “You couldn’t send me letters?”

“Do you recall me having a phone back then? I couldn’t even afford one. I don’t know your address off by heart. I really don’t know why you’re acting like this,” I admitted, folding my arms and walking over to my desk.

“I missed you,” he mumbled under his breath. It took me a while to take in what he had said but it finally came clear.

“I missed you too, Nathan. I’ll tell you this now, I found myself relieved once I moved from Ohio, away from all of that. The only thing I ever regretted for moving was you. I mean, you were my best friend!” I yelled, staring at the blank computer screen.

“You’ve changed,” he began. “Your silky black hair, it’s gone. Your sincere attitude, it’s gone. Lilian, she’s gone. I miss Lilian, more than you can imagine! Lilian, she was the sweetest person I had ever met; she wouldn’t stand to upset anyone, not ever. Lilian had the most beautiful silky black hair, I can remember the times where I wish I had black silky hair, just not as long as Lilian’s. Lilian was my best friend in the entire world, we were as close as a negative and a positive magnet, but then she left me.”

“That’s not fair; I changed because I had to. I moved because I had to. I grew up, Nathan,” I argued, why was he saying these things? They hurt inside.

“I’ve not changed,” he admitted. “My hair, it’s still the same. My attitude, it’s still the same. My name is still the same.”

“What is your point?” I asked, raising my tone. “I don’t even know why you’re here.”

“I’m here because your mum, she’s sick. She has cancer and she wants to see you for the summer before she dies,” he informed me, which got me even more wound up.