Her Lost Identity [25] ~ Waking up to Reality

Chapter 25

After mine and Jess’s heart to heart, we all did nothing else but have fun and it was like heavy weights were lifted from my weak shoulders. We took pictures, ate cotton candy and screamed our insides out on thrilling roller coasters.

Today was the day Jess and I would return home to California. It was only morning, yet it was all already emotional. Jess and I were just waiting on Nate to pick us up and bring us to his house with all our stuff. We’d planned to spend the day there, and then later Loral would take us to the airport.

As I folded up and packed the last of my stuff and put it in my suitcase, my phone beeped. I picked it up, seeing that I had one new message.

You’re coming home tonight! I can’t wait to see you. I miss you like crazy. We all do. Love you, baby sis. – Kev x

A smile was brought to my face after reading the heartfelt message from Kevin, and how he’d referred to me as his baby sis. I missed him more than anything.

I miss and love you too. I can’t wait to see you. We’ll tell Kirsten and Jack the baby news tomorrow, together. I’ll try and help smooth it out. – Cass xoxo

After hitting send, I stuffed my phone in my back trouser pocket. I pulled back the curtain in my bedroom before noticing Nate just walking to my door. Great timing.

“Nathan’s outside, you ready?” I asked Jess as the doorbell rung. She grabbed her bag, nodded and walked out of the room, and I followed her, my bag in my hand.

On the way down the stairs, I ran my fingers along the wall as I walked, reminiscing of the times when I helped my mum paint the whole house, and made it look good as new. We had so much fun. I hopped off the last step and made my way to the door, and Jess scooted out before me. Before stepping out, I looked around the house and smiled.

“I’ll be back for you,” I whispered before stepping out and shutting the door.

As I turned around, I saw Nate and Jess talking. I hurried over to him and jumped up on him, wrapping my legs around him. For a moment, he looked shocked, but I cut it off by kissing him.

“Alright, get a room,” Jess laughed behind me. I just smiled even more before giving Nate a peck on the lips and jumping off him. We still stood, hugging each other. He looked especially cute today, with his hair messy, white shirt and jeans.

The day had only begun and despite how emotional and sad it would be at the end, I knew it would be a good one.

* * *

“That’s totally unfair!” I whined after losing a game of Fifa to Jake. “You took the ball off me.”

We were all playing on Nate’s play station – Jess, Nate, Jake and I. Jake had arrived at Nate’s shortly after us. He’d bought Jess a pretty silver bracelet so that she wouldn’t forget him. We all laughed at how cheesy it sounded, but I thought it was cute.

Jake’s cheeks going bright red, he said, “Look, I’m trying to do something nice, would you just take the goddamn bracelet.”

He only made us laugh even more than we already had been, but Jess did eventually take it.

“Lily, come to the guestroom with me? I want to speak to you,” Nate told me once I had finished another match with Jake. I stood up and followed Nate out the room, taking his hand as he led me.

Once we got to the guestroom that was just across the hall from his own, he sat me down on the bed before taking a seat beside me. I looked him in his blue eyes, remembering how mesmerizing they were.