Her Lost Identity [15] ~ Déjà Vu

Chapter 15

The sound of something hitting the floor with force awoke me from my deep sleep. Not wanting to wake up yet, I snuggled deeper in to my blankets and tried to let myself go but it was no use. Beeping sounds travelled through the air. I sat up and looked down at the floor, in the direction of the sound. A phone laid there, its screen beaming up. ‘Incoming call – Unknown’ it read. I knew it wasn’t my phone, so whose was it? I decided to pick up the phone to find out.

“Hello?” I called down the line, feeling somewhat nervous of the outcome.

“Hi,” a raspy voice greeted from the other end. The person cleared their throat and said, “It’s me, Nathan. I’m outside, can you bring my phone?”

“Nate?” I said in a question. My tired voice bored down the line. “Did you get my text?”

“What?” he asked. He was about to say something, but I hung up, realizing how dumb my question was.

I rolled off my bed and fixed my hair. I checked the time on Nate’s phone as I ambled down the stairs. It was only eight. I read the text message I sent him from yesterday. What a waste of effort. I managed to twist open the handle to my front door, revealing a car that sat in the distance. Nathan sat inside it, of course. I walked over to the car, hugging my arms to keep me warm. He winded down the window, revealing his beautiful face. His face didn’t break in to a smile; it stayed blank as he stretched out his hand in order to receive the phone. Once he had it, he looked down at his lap, waiting for me to be the first to speak. I stayed silent, not knowing what to say. What would I say? Some things are easier said by text. He rolled his eyes and started the engine of the car.

“Nate, wait,” I called out as he put his hand on the gear stick. He looked up at me; his eyes were filled with hurt.

“What?” he scowled with annoyance in his voice. I took a step back, looking at my bare feet on the ground.

“I love you,” I announced, my voice trailing off in to thin air.

“I didn’t hear you,” he said sharply.

“I love you,” I told him, more loudly this time. I looked up at his wide-eyed self and smiled. “I fucking love you!”

“Not enough to have a future with me?” he asked, his jaw clenching, his eyes burning with anger.

“Nate,” I breathed out, getting ready to spill my heart out. Just as I was about to, I heard my name being called from inside. “Please don’t stay mad. Look, I’ve got to go. Check your phone, it will explain everything.”

I ripped my eyes away from his as I scurried back inside the house, feeling the warmth hit my skin. I trailed in to the kitchen where my mum was, she was making bacon. I could smell it. I sat down at the table and looked over to mum, who was eyeing me.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, her eyes were filled with worry.

“Nothing, just tired,” I told her. It wasn’t completely a lie. I was tired. She flipped bacon on to the plate that sat before me. Picking up my fork and digging it in to my breakfast, I couldn’t help but notice my mum’s eyes on me.

“When did Nathan leave?” she asked, curiously.

“Shortly after he came,” I informed her after I gulped down the contents of my mouth. I didn’t want to go too far in to what happened yesterday. I just hope Nathan approves of the text.

***

Mum hadn’t asked any further questions during breakfast. I just sat up in my room, absolutely bored. Where’s Jess these days? I texted her but she said that she was going to the movies with Jake. Nathan hasn’t called me yet and it’s almost four. All I’ve done was observe my room, which I used to do as a kid when I was bored. The wooden door stands fairly on the middle of the wall to the right of my bed. My bed being positioned in the top left corner of my room and everything else surrounded it. The walls are a dull cream colour - nothing too exciting.

Kirsten and Jack had called earlier to see how I was doing. They didn’t say anything about Kevin’s situation, he probably hadn’t told them. They said how they had a surprise planned for me for when I get back to California. It got me thinking about how I first moved to California – how I had to meet the whole family and how nerve-racking it was. Kevin told me just to be myself. At the time, it wasn’t possible because I couldn’t be myself. Not with my name being Cassie Wynters, anyway. I told him that, and so, he told me to be who I wanted to be.

Kevin made a big impact on my life back then. I was just eleven. He was the best brother anyone could ask for. I wish he was my real brother.             Our bond grew so strong that now, I’d take a bullet for him. At first, I assumed Kevin would be a perverted step brothers like the ones you see on television or read in books, but with Kevin, it’s a completely different story. I love him and I’m gonna keep him by my side inevitably forever, even if he does go to prison for rape.

I snapped out of thoughts as my phone began to ring. I read the flashing screen – Kevin. Speak of the devil. A smile grew on my face as I answered the call and held my phone to my ear.

“Hi!” I beamed down my cell as I plopped down on my bed. “I’m glad you called.”

“Hey,” he responded in a raspy tone. He didn’t sound at all happy.

“What’s up?” I asked him, frowning to myself. There was a long pause before he responded.

“Rachel wants us to run away together,” he informed me, his voice trailing off. I could hear the sadness in his voice.

“What?” I almost screamed. “No, you can’t leave!”

“And I don’t want to leave. I have my whole future ahead of me here in California,” Déjà vu much. “But she can’t face her family... I’ve tried telling her leaving is bad for the both of us but she won’t have it, Cass!”

“Kevin,” I tried to calm him down but it was no use. His tone grew louder and if I’m not wrong, he was crying. “Kevin, calm down!”

“I’m sorry Cass... It’s just, I don’t want to be a father that doesn’t have a job and can’t pay for his child. She just doesn’t understand! This is all happening so fast Cass, what have I done?” he asked me. I couldn’t find the answer to his question so I stayed silent, thinking for something to say. It was sort of obvious what he’d gotten himself in to. “What should I do?”

“Tell Kirsten and Jack. They’ll be mad but they won’t want you to run away. Then they’ll have to tell her parents,” I said, simply, even though I knew it wouldn’t be that simply. “Kevin, you’re a good guy! I’m sure her parents know you already... You’re like the smartest, nicest guy I know! I’m sure they’ll grow to love you.”

“You think so?” he asked me, the sobs began to fade away.

“I know so. Now you have to tell them before I do!” I encouraged him with excitement in my tone.

“Thanks, Cass,” he whispered before cutting off.

That wasn’t the phone conversation I was expecting... I thought it would be more of a stress-free and fun conversation. I guess this holiday just won’t be fun at all...

A/N: I'm sorry for the length and boringness of this chapter.. It was just a filler. :)