Her Lost Identity [27] ~ Party Pooper

• Dedicated to The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton

Chapter 27

After Jess and I had gotten off the plane, and collected our luggage, we waited for a taxi.

Neither of us spoke, instead, Jess texted, and I began thinking again.

Then I noticed a familiar figure walking toward us, wearing his favourite True Religion jeans, with a Hollister shirt.

“Hi,” I said, half-smiling, once he was close enough to hear. My voice came out low, and trembling.

“Hi,” Kevin replied, returning my smile. He engulfed me into a tight embrace, the smell of his cologne filling my nose.

I felt a tear trickle from the corner of my eye, down onto his back. “Kevin,” I smiled wider. He wiped away my single tear with his thumb, and smiled down at me.

“How’s my favourite girl in the world been?” he asked me after waving at Jess who was still texting. I smiled at how I was still his favourite girl, and was glad to see that not even Rachel could change that.

“She’s been missing you like crazy,” I answered in third person, eagerly. I pulled him in for another hug, and he rubbed my back. We took a seat on a bench outside of the airport, and Kevin had explained how Jack and Kirsten didn’t come because they were busy. “Things have been real hard,” I told him.

“Here, too,” he said, kissing my forehead. I had almost forgotten about how he’d gotten Rachel pregnant.

“How’s Rachel?” I asked, playing on his iPhone.

Sighing, he said, “Better. Things have died down, but she’s starting to show.

I felt real bad for Kev. I mean, he is older, but he’s still quite young. He shouldn’t have to deal with this. Neither should Rachel, really. I guess it is his fault that he got involved with her in the first place, but if you knew Kevin, you also knew he wouldn’t do anything to hurt anyone purposely. I guess that’s why Rachel fell for him in the first place.

“Let’s get this taxi,” Jess nudged me, pointing at the taxi moving toward us. Just as I was going to agree, Kevin reminded me he was here.

“Uh, hello?” he laughed. “I’ve come to pick you guys up.”

For the whole ride home, Kevin and I caught up. Though we’d spoken on the phone quite a lot, it wasn’t the same, and we felt the need to repeat everything we’d told each other again. I guess it made me happier, and got my mind off of Nathan. It was what I needed.

When we parked into our drive, and got out of the car, things were awfully quiet. I was half-expecting Kirsten and Jack to run out and give me the tightest squeezes, telling me how much they’d missed having me around. Neither Jess nor Kevin noticed, but instead continued to my door. They insisted I walk in first. As I pushed the door open, I jumped in fright.

“Surprise!” a number of voices yelled. I looked around the room, everyone holding balloons and drinks with bright smiles across their faces. Everyone was there. People from school, family of Kirsten and Jack’s, even Jess’s parents. I was quite surprised Jess’s parents were even there, they didn’t really seem there for her most of the time.

I smiled at everyone, thanking them for the awesome surprise, because truthfully, I was surprised... then my mind trailed back to something: if only Nate was here.

I stayed, thanking everyone, and catching up but it wasn’t long before I made my way upstairs. Cassie would’ve enjoyed this, I thought, but Lilian just wasn’t feeling it.

Picking up my phone, I decided to call Nate. After the second beep, he answered the phone.

“Hi,” I smiled down the phone. As I lay down on my king-sized, comfy bed, I remembered how good a bed could feel.