Her Lost Identity [12] ~ Big News

^^ for being such a sweetheart♥

A/N: Thanks to everyone who's reading my story! It means a lot :) Please don't be a ghost reader, please comment!

Chapter 12

I turned around to see a face I thought I’d never think to see here in Ohio. His messy bronze hair covered most of his forehead with his grey-green eyes stared down at me. I glared at him before slapping him as hard as I could, then he began to laugh. He pulled me in to his arms and squeezed me tightly. I was quite surprised at his reaction. Right there, right then, I felt a smile growing on my lips.

“Don’t scare me like that!” I almost yelled, after our long embrace. Kevin just chucked and whispered in to my ear,

“I’m sorry, Cass.”

“Just getting some air...” I told him. He, knowing I didn’t want to talk about it, just nodded. “Anyway, why are you here?”

“What? You’re not happy to see me?” he laughed, in a jokingly way. To be honest, I was glad he was here. At least now, I had a bit of home with me. Jess had been occupied for the last couple of days. Kevin had me under his arm, he lead me to his car. He walked over to the other side and hopped in, following his lead; I hopped on the passenger’s seat.

I switched on the radio, looking for the best radio station. I wouldn’t dare put on music of Kevin’s, he liked classic. “It’s good for the brain!” he would always say. Once I found a radio station I liked, I slouched down in the seat, bobbing my head up and down to the song.

“So, where are we off to?” I asked Kevin, still bobbing my head to the beat of the song.

“Well, have you eaten yet?” he asked. I nodded in response, but he was watching the road. Instead, I murmured ‘mm’. “Then I’ll take you for some ice-cream, how about that?”

“Sure,” I agreed, flicking over the radio station because the song had ended and the one after was one that I didn’t particularly like. “Kevin did Kirsten and Jack tell you to check up on me?”

“Not exactly...” he began. “I insisted.”

“That’s got to be the best ice-cream I’ve ever tasted!” Kevin said, as he put his spoon in his empty bowl. I nodded; I always remembered this place selling extra yummy ice-creams.

We had both finished our delicious ice-creams. Kevin and I both came to our feet and left the shop. It was so cold out, but I had Kevin’s jacket keeping me warmer. We both trailed over to his car and crawled inside it. Kevin told me that he was staying at a B&B until tomorrow, and then he would be flying back to California. I was a bit disappointed; he’d only just got here. As Kevin drove me home, I told him all about Nathan and about me not being sure if we’re actually dating or not. He gave me some advice, which I’ll try and work with.

Once we – Kevin and I – made it to my house, or my mums, at least, I invited him inside. I figured that it would be rude not to come in for a while; after all, he did come all the way here just to see me. As I twisted the key in the rusty key hole, I heard a scream for help from inside. My mind flooded with lots of things, was something wrong with my mum? Had someone broken in? What happened? For some reason, the door wasn’t opening. Luckily, Kevin was there. He ushered me out of the way and then with all force, he booted the door open. The smell of the chicken casserole mum and I had made for dinner still filled the house. I followed the moaning and screaming until I stood outside my mum’s bedroom door. I winced as I opened the door, hoping not to find anything inappropriate on the other side. Then I took a step inside, and opened my eyes.

My mum, her eyes red and hair veins popping out of her forehead. It looked as if she was choking. I ran over to her at the speed of lightning. Kevin left the room, to get water I guessed.