Her Lost Identity [21] ~ Inescapable Sorrow

Chapter 21

The past few weeks went by like a rollercoaster – pretty fast. You know when you’re on a rollercoaster and it goes too fast and you can barely breathe and your stomach does somersaults? Well, that’s how it felt like. It was going too fast for my liking – I was enjoying the vacation too much. Well, I’d rather say I was dreading the end of it all, leaving Nathan, my mum dying and what not...

Jess and I set up Jake and Nate when we went to the movies. Jake didn’t know Nate was coming and Nate didn’t know Jake was coming. At the start, it was awkward because Nate kept giving Jake death glares but soon enough, they shot off like a rocket and were friends again.

My mum and I also bonded more, we went to the mall and I got her some new clothes – a difference from all those ripped baggy jeans and shirts she often wore. She was ecstatic about her new clothes; she even burst out in to tears at one point because she felt bad about barely buying me clothes when I was younger.

But that was in the past.

Jess and I spent a lot more time together than we had for since the beginning of this holiday, but all we did mostly was go shopping and paint each other’s nails.

That all leaving me just two weeks before summer vacation is over... But I don’t want it to end.

Today, Nathan’s coming to pick me up to take me out to his favourite restaurant – The Fire Dragon. It’s a Chinese restaurant; they serve the best Chinese food known to mankind. I love that place. So why don’t I want to go?

Maybe because if he impresses me, I’ll become more attached than I already am... and that’s a lot. But then I’ll have to leave him behind when I leave to go to home. It will only make it harder to part with him... but I can’t turn down his offer, can I? It would be rude. So I told him I’d go to dinner with him.

Jess had done my hair and picked out my outfit for me. She’s like my fairy godmother. She picked out a nice polka-dotted playsuit that hugged my figure with the brown belt that rested on my hips. To add to that, she lent me her black cardigan just in case I got cold.

Whilst I’m out with Nathan, Jess is going to go bowling with Jake. I wish I could have gone with them instead... It wouldn’t have been so stressful.

* * *

“You look beautiful,” Nate said as he stood outside my door looking not too bad himself. He wore a grey shirt with a pair of black smart trousers, his dark hair in its usual messy state and his shirt had the top two buttons undone and wasn’t tucked in. Some would say he looked like a five year old at a wedding five minutes in, already messy – but I think he looked perfect... perfect for me. He took my hand and led me over to the car. I plastered a smile on my face and he returned the gesture however his smile was probably more genuine. It wasn’t that mine weren’t, it was just that I couldn’t help but feel a tad upset.

“You’re quiet,” Nathan whispered as he started up the engine. “What’s up?” I toyed with my fingers as I thought about whether I should tell him. I mean, the chances are he seemed the same way but what if it ruined the day? What if instead of a fun night out with the love of your life turns in to a stressful, downer day?