Her Lost Identity [24] ~ Thunder Storm

Chapter 24

“I’m going to miss it here,” Jess sighed as she put folded clothes neatly into her suitcase. She had been going on about how she’d miss Jake but they’d still meet and talk for the past hour. Some would call it irritating but I think it’s cute.

Folding clothes of my own, I told her, “Me too.”

We weren’t leaving just yet – or even in a few hours. All we wanted was the most time with our boyfriends that we could squeeze in so we decided to pack beforehand. We’d left out our outfits for the next day with other stuff such as toiletries out of our cases so it wouldn’t be so much of a mission getting them.

Jess had been really supportive about my mother’s death – she told me that I’d get through it and if I get stuck, she’s always going to be there to pull me through. We’d not really spoke much about it, though. I wasn’t all sloppy and depressed either however at times I’d cry and realise she’d never come back but then stop because I’d remember as long as I wore the locket, she was with me.

I had also been thinking about the house. She didn’t have to give it to me but she did because she wanted to...

I went through some of my mum’s stuff and found things like pictures of my mum and then some more of me. Then I found a picture of mum and me huddling up together with my long black hair and sparkly eyes. I really looked happy. I didn’t see a single picture of Vincent and I’m glad, too. It would have probably killed my mood knowing she kept pictures of him. I stuffed the photos I could find in my suitcase to bring home with me. I’d frame them and put them by my bedside table.

The thing that wouldn’t leave my mind was the questions I had forgot to ask like who my dad was and why he was never around. Did she even know him? I just wish I had asked her sometime because I’m not sure whether I have any blood relatives alive at all. It would just have been nice to know. I’d always think about asking as a kid but never brought it up because Vincent would probably hit my mum for mentioning his name like when he did when she once told him that my father was a much better man than he was.

I didn’t even get his name.

Well sure, I shouldn’t be bothered. I mean, which father doesn’t come to see his daughter, ever? But then I hated my mum all those years for not coming to see me and letting me go. Maybe dad had his reasons for walking out, too. If he did walk out. If he’s even alive.

“Are you ready?” asked Jessica, snapping me out of my trance. I looked at her. She had a pair of cute high-waist jean shorts on with an I Heart Paris tank top on. She wore her favourite Jimmy Choo phoenix patent leather espadrilles wedges that made her look almost six foot tall that I had bought her for her birthday. Her hair was curled and she wore a big pair of Gucci sunglasses that covered her eyes. In other words, she looked absolutely amazing.

“You look nice,” I told her, smiling genuinely. She returned the comment, saying I looked nice too. I wore a pair of white flats, white beige and a white Hollister polo shirt. It was a hot day and I really wasn’t bothered. “Are they outside?”

After applying extra gloss to her lips, she said, “Yeah.”

Jess and I went downstairs and outside where Jake and Nathan stood waiting for us. We were going on some kind of double date/fun day out sort of thing. I locked the door shut before putting the keys into my purse. As I turned around, Jess and Jake were already hugging. She looked taller than him. Aw, a guy’s gotta hate that. Nathan smiled down at me before taking my hand.

“Where’s the car?” I asked Nathan. It wasn’t in my drive where he usually parked it.

“Ah, dad came for it,” Nate sighed. He didn’t look so upset, though. “It doesn’t matter, though. We aren’t going to be walking for long.”