Her Lost Identity [1] ~ Schools out!

A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for all the support from the first chapter, you guys really are great(: This chapter may to you seem a bit cliche but it's the 2nd chapter where things go back to the originality scale.

Chapter 1

2011

~ Cassie Wynters

"Cass!" a voice from behind me called. I swung around on the heal of my foot, leaving myself faced to the person that had called me. "Wait up; I got something to tell you."

"Oh hey," I greeted my best friend, Jess, with a warm smile. "Do you wanna come 'round mine today? You can stay the night if you like."

"Sure, I can borrow a pair of pyjamas of yours, right? I'm really not bothered to go all the way to my house," she asked me.

"You don't need to ask," I told her, followed by a smile. "What was that thing you wanted to tell me?"

"Well basically, Derek asked out Nina!" Jess wailed. My eyes widened at the news. "I know right! I can't believe he had the balls to ask her out after he slept with me and never bothered to call me after. What a jerk!"

Jess was sixteen, for Pete's sake! She didn't even love him; she just thought he was hot. Admittedly, he was, but that was besides the point. You shouldn't just sleep with someone because they're hot. At least, I thought so. My plan was to wait until I found someone I trusted, and was truly in love with.

"I told you he's a jerk," I reminded her. "Besides that, it's the start of our summer holidays! No school for like, eight weeks! And we're still inside it. Hurry up, let's go."

I grabbed on to Jessica's hand and pulled her out of the school gates. Jess grinned like an idiot whilst running over to my stepbrother's car. It was a red convertible, and made almost every girl in contact with it go ga-ga. I just rolled my eyes at her. She was making it ideally obvious that I drove to school. Although I was sixteen, the legal driving age, I hadn't yet got a license. But Kevin, my stepbrother, taught me how to drive. He let me drive his car when he took his motorbike to work. Kirsten and Jack weren't aware of this, though. I trailed behind Jess and unlocked the door to the car, not forgetting to make sure the coast was clear of teachers. I ducked my head and got inside it.

"Your brother's awesome!" she admitted, admiring the car we sat in. "Not to mention... He's hot."

"Gross! He's twenty-one, Jess," I said, awkwardly. "Please, keep your thoughts to yourself before I barf!" I begged her.

She just laughed hysterically — like always — in the passenger seat of the car. I rolled my eyes in her direction before moulding the keys in to the keyhole and once the engine had started, I drove off home.

**

Jessica and I were up in my bedroom, painting each other's nails when Kevin slipped through the door, being sure to shut it behind him.

"Hey," he greeted Jessica, and gave her one of his famous smirks that every girl drools over.

"Hey!" Jess replied, looking all giddy. Ugh, I needed a break. Although he was just my stepbrother, he was still like a real brother to me.

"Cass, I need my car keys," he told me quietly, making sure Kirsten and Jack didn't hear. I nodded and reached for my bag, in which I pulled out the keys.

"Here," I said, passing the keys back. "Would I be able to borrow the car tomorrow too?"

"No. Yes. I-I'm not sure..." he stuttered, scratching the back of his neck. "You know if you were to crash, I'd be responsible. Not only that, it's not safe. I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Please! I'm a good driver. I got taught by the best," I admitted, winking at him which only made him laugh. "I want to go to the mall with Jess."

"No," he repeated. "I'm serious; I don't want you getting hurt. I'm not doing anything tomorrow, I'll drive you."

"Are you sure?" I asked, sounding a bit confused. He's never driven me anywhere. He nodded and then left, without hesitation.

"Hot!" Jessica whispered loudly, grinning too widely for my liking.

"Jess, don't be such an idiot!" I commanded and punched her on the arm playfully. "He's old."

"So, a little bit of eye candy won't hurt anybody," she stated, letting off a flirtatious wink. "He's so caring! I bet if he wasn't your brother, you'd want him too."

"That's gross, Jess," I told her, feeling a bit sick. "I love him, just not like that."

"Of course," she agreed, trying to sound somewhat professional for whatever reason she had. Whether she was being sarcastic or not, I had no idea.

For the rest of the day, Jess and I just talked about school and gossiped about people. Once again, Jess brought up Derek. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to upset her but she got herself in this mess. I hoped she wouldn't continue talking about him; other people had problems that were much worse. We listened to my new Paramore album over and over, on full blast. They were just amazing. We painted each other's nails. I chose an authentic teal colour, seeing as it was my favourite. It also bonded well with my sky-blue eyes.

"Honey, would you like me to order you two pizzas?" I looked up from my bed to see Kirsten's head peeping behind the white door.

"Yes please!" I said, willingly, with a smile in my voice. "Thanks, Kirsten."

"No problem, beautiful," Kirsten responded. She smiled at both me and Jessica - not a huge one - just a genuine loving smile before heading out the door. Once Kirsten left, Jess made immediate eye contact with me.

"Why do you call your mum 'Kirsten'?" she asked, her eyebrows furrowing.

"Oh, that's because... That's because I see her as a friend more than a mum, even though she's my mum," I said pretty fast. That would have to be the worst lie I had ever come up with. Jess lowered her eyebrows and nodded slowly as if she was taking in what I had said word for word.

"Right..." she mumbled, still sounding confused. She didn't bother asking further questions which I didn't mind, I was rather satisfied she left it as that.

~~

A/N: So, what did you think? And why do you think Cassie lied to Jess about Kirsten? Be sure to COMMENT, if you like it VOTE, if you love it ADD TO LIBRARY if it wasn't there already. :D Oh yeah.. Hakuna Matata!