Chapter Forty Three: Gamble

Hux PoV

I had always seen myself as a calm and reserved person, not given to displays of emotion or passion. Kylo Ren's return and confession changed that. As we laid in bed, bodies entwined, I was very emotional as I kissed his soft skin and ran my hand along his back.

He was equally as passionate in his return to our love as he kissed me and stroked my chest with his large hands. We had no intercourse, as we both saw it as beneath us, not to mention a useless pass time, in our opinion. It seemed both painful and bore no results except awkwardness.

But that was no problem. We were happy, laying entwined in bed, touching each other and knowing all was well with the world.

I had my doubts, admittedly. I was concerned about both of our respective emotional states. We had gone from so many extremes so fast. We had traveled from initial hatred, to onesided attraction, to a shared attraction, to leaving each other, then being reunited in the face of death and injury, then leaving each other once more on threat of death, and finally being put together again.

The fact we had gone to all those extremes made me wonder how deep this really was, if our attraction was only brought on by emotional spurts and adrenaline rushes. On the other hand, many of these things had not been in our control, or in some part had been orchestrated by another being.

I did not want to waste time worrying about this. I did that with every other aspect in my life, but this, this was something that I needed to wing. I needed to quit over analyzing everything and throw myself into it with all of my emotion.

I watched Kylo sleep next to me after we had finished our physical and sensual exertions. His mouth was slightly open, and he did not snore. His curly hair was disheveled, covering half of his face. His facial expression, as a whole, was calm and serene. He seemed at peace, and that made me happy.

I laid down beside him, curling my body around his and putting my arm around him. I felt him stir a little and shift to make my position more comfortable. I smiled as I shut my eyes and felt Kylo right next to me sleeping silently. All was well for now, and the here and now was all I wanted to think about.

The next morning brought something unwelcome with it for me personally. I had been summoned to Supreme Leader Snoke's chambers, alone. Kylo wished me luck and kissed me as I prepare to go and face the being who had nearly destroyed both Kylo and I.

"Supreme Leader, you asked for me?" I looked up at the massive holographic projection of the leader of the First Order, and despite my anger against him, was struck with awe.

"Yes. I believe that we have something that needs discussion. My apprentice." I probably imagined it, but his eyes narrowed and he glared at me.

"What about Kylo Ren?" I asked, feigning ignorance. "What do you need to discuss with me that you cannot with him."

"You. You have been pursuing a relationship with him, have you not?" Snoke's voice was penetrating and cold. It took all of my willpower not to break down and confess before Snoke.

"No. Well, I was, but after I spoke with him, we agreed it was not in the best nature of the First Order. We no longer participate in any non professional relationship." I was lying through my teeth, and I hoped he could not tell. He probably could.

"That is good. I hope you keep it that way. I would hate to see my trust betrayed and the future of the galaxy thrown to naught because of your personal desires.

I saw what he was doing, playing upon my desire to change the galaxy. I could play upon that. "That is exactly why we are no longer participating in that activity. For the good of the First Order. Is that all?" I asked boldly. I needed to tell Kylo.

"Yes. Do not betray me, General. I am not an enemy you would want, nor am I and enemy you could defeat. Remember that."

"Of course." I walked away. My heart was pounding and sweat was dripping down my back. I found Kylo on the bridge, perhaps waiting for me?

"How'd it go?" He whispered as I approached him. He and I left the bride and walked down the halls of the base.

"Decently. He wanted to make sure we were not in a relationship. I lied, bluffed my way out. He believed it." I shrugged, trying not to let my panic show through.

"Hux." He hugged me close. "That was both amazing and stupid, and I love you for it. We will have to be careful. Snoke will not tolerate betrayal."

"We have survived so far. All of this-" I thought of our turmoils we had faced,"is nothing. That couldn't defeat us. Neither can Snoke."

"I hope you're right." Kylo squeezed my hand, then walked away, leaving me to hope I was right as well. I hoped Snoke would never call my bluff or try to get me to prove anything. I did not know if I could. This was a dangerous game, and I was entering into the highest stakes gamble ever.