Chapter Two: Master

Kylo Ren Pov

I had disliked the General from the beginning. I considered Hux haughty, stiff, close minded, and arrogant. Now, as I worked with him, these traits seemed exemplified. Hux seemed to be trying to assert his authority as he showed me around the base.

"This is the main power core. It's heavily guarded and enforced, of course. If it falls-"

"We will probably have some severe issues to deal with. Yes, I know." I was beginning to lose my patience for his arrogant and condescending manner towards me.

"You seem annoyed," Hux smirked at me, sensing my rising irritation. "Is the fact that you are actually having to ascribe to science instead of your mysticism getting to you?" He sneered at me. "That's how it's going to be on this base. My technology, real science, disciplined soldiers, and actual, physical, power, not some fairy tale from a long gone age of power hungry people who fabricated stories of power."

I felt anger bubbling up inside of me like a volcano waiting to erupt. "You speak of things you do not understand, General." I snapped, peevishly. "I would advise against that. If you are in doubt of the power of the Force, I would be more than happy to demonstrate it to you."

I stormed away, done with listening to this ignorant officer try to show superiority by way of touring Starkiller Base. I had better things to do, such as unite the task force that Supreme Leader Snoke had authorized me to lead: the Knights of Ren.

They were my eyes and ears, searching for Skywalker or anything leading to him. Once he was found, they would inform me, and I, in turn, would tell the Supreme Leader. We would track him down and destroy him, and with his death, we would achieve power and stability, something seen under the regime of my grandfather.

I would make him proud. I would finish what he started. He brought order to a chaotic galaxy by slaying the Jedi and beginning a new, powerful, stable galactic empire. I would achieve the same with the death of Luke Skywalker.

Men like Hux are my path, no matter my personal disdain. I can not win without people to aid in this cause, but perhaps when the galaxy has been stabilized and the anarchy brought about by the Jedi is finally stamped out, I will be able to put an end to non believers and dissidents like Hux.

It is a happy fantasy but one that I doubt that I will be able to achieve. Despite his scorn for the Force, Supreme Leader Snoke obviously holds him in high esteem. Killing him would most likely pit me against my own master, something I would prefer to avoid.

I sat down in my personal chambers and slipped my helmet off and let my head rest in my hands. Sometimes I felt as if though I faced an impossible task. I had to measure up to a legend. It was my destiny to bring order, yet, at times I doubted that I could do it

A knock sounded at my door. I hurriedly put my helmet back on and turned to meet the icy gaze of General Hux.

"If you are quite done acting like an angsty child, we have work to do. One of our spies reported news of Skywalker. A man on Cloud City might have some information." His voice was cool and his tone mildly demeaning as he spoke.

"Good." I replied, endeavoring not to show how pleased I was at this news. "I want to have the information immediately. Lead the way, General."

I'll let him have his moment. His time of feeling important, like a leader. But in this quest to find Skywalker, it will be the Force, not science or technology that will be the biggest player. I will make sure of it.