Chapter Fifteen: Heartbreak

Hux PoV

It was hard. Despite my best efforts, hearing my affections and empathy thrown in my face by a pitiless young man hurt. Kylo seemed to know it too, and took a specific delight in lording that knowledge over me. I chanced a glance at him as he sat, lounging in the copilot chair in his too small clothing.

It complimented him, despite the fact that it was too small. Clothing like that was a little too tight in certain areas that drew my eye specifically. Around his legs, chest, and abdomen it hugged him especially. From what I could see, despite my first impression, he had a fair amount of muscle on him.

Oh what was I doing?! I needed to focus, but it was growing steadily harder. I wanted him more than I had ever wanted anything in my life. Was it love? I did not know; in all honesty, I hoped that it was not. I did know that I needed to find a way to salve my broken pride and insulted feelings.

Suddenly, Ren stood up and walked back to the cabin for some unknown reason to me. Probably to meditate in peace or use the computer to analyze the data chip.

I absentmindedly launched us into hyperspace and watched the stars roll beside the ship in long, streaking lines. Straight lines, that was what I had planned for myself. No distractions or deviance, just a straight path to order. I wished at that moment that I had never met Kylo Ren. Why couldn't I have just been a successful General without someone like him tagging along?

But I could not blame Ren for my own undisciplined emotions. The fact that since seeing him unmasked and viewing his passion, I had a strong desire for him was not of his doing, far from it. He probably wished that I would lose my feelings, but I doubted that I would.

I heard the door open and Kylo stormed in and flung himself onto the chair. "Lando tricked us, well partly at least." He snapped, clenching his fist.

"What do you mean?" I looked at him curiously.

"It's not a full part of the map to Skywalker. It's only about an eighth, if I can guess at all. There are more pieces that we need to find." He paused," I can't believe that I thought this would be so easy." He snorted.

"It'll be fine," the comforting statement came out of my mouth before I could stop myself. It was habit. Morale was important to the troopers, and I had gotten into the habit of boosting it. In some ways, perhaps, I saw Ren as just another fighter trying to find his way.
"We will find Skywalker, and we will bring order," I said confidently.

"I'll tell the Knights to keep an ear out for anything regarding the Jedi. You would not know anything about this, right?" He looked at me and I thought for a second. If Luke were to hide the way to locate him, where would he hide it?

"Coruscant," I said confidently," where the old Jedi Temple was. That would be a natural place for him to hide something like that." It made sense. The ruins of the Jedi Temple would be an almost sacred thing to any living Jedi or Light Side Force Wielder.

"You should consult with the Supreme Leader, General. He is wise and he ought to have a good idea of where to search." He seemed reluctant to just accept my answer, but I did not comment on it.

"Of course. I would not conduct this type of search without his approval," I responded. "I am not a fool."

"I never said you were, General." Abruptly, Ren took off his helmet and stared at me. "We need to see eye to eye, General. Trust is imperative and the ability to look at things from both of our perspectives a necessity to win."

"Agreed," I replied, inwardly admiring both the change in Ren's demeanor and his handsome face. Maybe things would change, maybe there was still hope, perhaps I would not be heartbroken after all.

Ps ~ yes, there is a new cover but it is temporary. I'm working on one but it's going slow. This cover I DID NOT DRAW THE ARTWORK. I made the edit but the original is not mine but I could not find the artist. Just a disclaimer.