Chapter Sixteen: Clarity

Kylo PoV

Upon returning to Starkiller Base, Hux informed me that he needed to go and make his report to the Supreme Leader and also check on the progress of his troops. I, on the other hand, planned to meditate and also commune with my specialized taskforce. I needed to see if they had dredged anything up about Skywalker.

I walked to my personal quarters and noticed that I had three messages waiting for me on my communications system. I clicked on the top one, as it was labeled 'urgent'.

A hologram of one of my men appeared in front of me. "Ren, we have found what appears to be another link to Skywalker. It is in the ruins of the Jedi Temple, but we are hindered in our search by the New Republic."

Hux had been right. The Temple was where we would find at least one more piece to this frustrating yet fulfilling puzzle. I immediately commed the man back, and thankfully, he answered.

"Commander Ren," he saluted me ," I see that you received my message. Will you and the General be coming to Coruscant?"

"Most likely," I replied frankly. With this information, it was near guaranteed Hux and I would be ordered to go and investigate. At that moment, in fact, I heard a banging on my door. "Someone's at the door. I believe it is the General. Excuse me for a minute."

Without waiting for a reply, I opened it and admitted General Hux in. "We have clearance to go to Coruscant, Ren. Who are you talking to?" Hux looked at me.

"A source. He says he knows where the chip is on Coruscant. You were right." I admitted grudgingly.

Hux allowed himself a smirk before going back to business. "Where is it?" He asked, I'm not sure if it was directed at me or my subordinate.

"It is hidden in the ruins of the archives  of the Jedi Temple. I'm not sure where."

"Thank you for your assistance. Is that all?" I asked him.

"Yes, sir."

"Then begone." I ended the connection and I turned to General Hux. "Your hunch was right the first time. Now, let's see how right you are again. Where do you think he would hide it within the Archives?" I doubted he would know, but it was worth a shot.

"I'm not a Jedi, Kylo, how would I know where they sequestered their knowledge." He seemed amused and exasperated at the same time.

"It was worth a shot," I muttered. "When do we leave?" I asked him. "What did the Supreme Leader say?"

"He said that we would leave tomorrow. I know that's not much time but-"

"It's fine," I cut him off midsentence. "We will have to be ready then. There are some different preparations we ought to make before going, however." I realized, a few thoughts dawning upon me simultaneously.

"Like what?" Hux looked at me curiously.

"We will need to dress as civilians. We will most likely be there for multiple days so we will need money for food and lodging as well. We can not go there and just say that we are from the First Order while the Republic is clearly in league with the Resistance." I was proud that I had thought of that. If I had not, our plan would have failed quickly.

"Good points, all of them," Hux replied, to my surprise, normally he tried to disagree with me in all ways. "Do you even own any civilian type clothing though?" He looked at me doubtfully.

"Not really." I shrugged. I had been trained first as a Jedi, then a Sith. Neither order was known for conventional garb, both favoring flowing robes.

"I can probably remedy that once we get to Coruscant. But you know, you can't just walk around in a mask, Ren." He smirked again in an infuriating yet sort of attractive manner.

"Yes, I am aware of that. And we will need to change our names. I can just be 'Ben'." I spoke the name of the long gone Jedi child without regret. "How about you?"

"Jacen Crise." He replied without missing a beat. "Basic, very Corellian, and not at all suspicious. You don't have a last name though. Would you like to be 'Crise' too?" He asked," we could be brothers."

"No. That would be a fairly obvious ruse. I'll use the last name 'Riannan'." Admittedly I had made the name up from the first few letters I could think of, but what did it matter? It was just a disguise.

"I'll prepare for the trip tonight. When we reach Coruscant, we can see about getting you normal clothing, but until then, you will not be able to walk around Coruscant."

I scowled under the mask, but knew he was right. "Fine."

"Then it is settled. Good night, Kylo. We leave tomorrow morning at 1000." He made a stuff turn and left my room.

It was good to have clarity, I thought as I flicked through the other two messages. They were both about weapon and armor shipments. I walked over to my bed and stripped off my accoutrements, including helmet, and lay there in just my pants. I let my mind relax and submit itself to the calming yet rushing power of the Force.

Yes, clarity. I knew what I needed to do, and my partner was finally being an asset. Perhaps I would grow to appreciate him as an ally. Or perhaps not. I could only hope for the best, and not even for myself, but also for the legacy I was fulfilling.