25. Chance

Kimiko POV
(Next day of Inter-high Preliminaries)

"Where could Shoyo be?" I quietly mumble to myself as I search for Shoyo through the crowd of people entering the Sendai Gym.

Last night when Shoyo and I were texting each other, he asked if we could meet up before our matches.

The moment I saw his message, I jumped for joy. I never got the chance to see him in the Inter-high Preliminaries so far but now I can finally see him!

As embarrassing it is to admit, I was so excited about seeing him tomorrow that I didn't get much sleep. But that doesn't matter sleep is for the weak!

My cellphone vibrates and I quickly glance over the messages to see it was all from Amu then sigh. Kazue is probably going to scold me if I don't come back right away.

Earlier when I tried to make my escape to find Shoyo, she noticed and asked me where I was heading off to. I had to make up an excuse about getting some fresh air but of course, Seki takes this as an opportunity to poke fun into teasing me and falsely claimed that I was meeting up with a secret lover.

Secret lover... I clench my fist as I think back to that moment with flushed cheeks.

How ridiculous!

Shoyo isn't a secret lover! He's just a friend that I often enjoy being around!

Although I wouldn't mind if people call me his girlfriend... but that's not the point! I don't even think he considers me as a romantic interest!

"... Kimiko what are you doing here? Where's Amu?" I hear a familiar voice and turn around to see Ushijima standing there slightly surprised to see me at the boys' division rather than the girls' division.

"I'm just trying to find someone here," I answer. "If you're looking for Amu, she's with the team."

"I see. I don't need her at the moment, I just assumed that you were with her so I asked," Ushijima states then shows me his cellphone with her number on speed-dial. "But it doesn't matter, if I need her for anything then I would just call her on here for a faster means of communication."

...

I stare at him with a deadpan look. I have no words to say to that.

"So who are you guys playing next?" Ushijima asks as he slips his cellphone back into his pocket.

"We're playing against Niiyama Joshi," I answer.

"I see. Niiyama Joshi is highly recognized for their girls' volleyball team. If I were you, I would be cautious of their blocker, Chiharu Yamamoto, she's around my level when it comes to skills. Even with the unpredictability of Amu's spikes, the only way you have a chance to win is if play your cards correctly," Ushijima advises.

I think back to the first time that I met her.

Chiharu huh?

I don't know how good she is in volleyball but I know that she's quite good at making me get irritated.

"Thanks for words of advice, I guess," I tell him then walk ahead of him. "If that's all you need then I'll be on my way—-"

"Your father is here today," Ushijima states.

My heart drops. I stop and turn around in complete shock. "What did you say?"

"Mr. Serizawa greeted me earlier this morning when I came in. He was with the second year that always follows you around in school," Ushijima explains and my eyes widen.

"You mean Ken?" I question and he nods his head."I just wanted to let you know although it doesn't seem like you're aware of it yourself," Ushijima tells me and I don't say a word.