27. Dominos

Kimiko POV

After losing the semifinals to Niiyama Joshi, we head to the girls' locker room to change. The heavy tension fills the air making it hard for anyone to speak up after our loss. Even Seki, the type of person to normally lighten up the mood in the room was silent.

After everyone enters the room, Kazue clears her throat. "Girls. We have gotten far in the tournament with the skills that we honed through these few months but..." her voice shakes as if she could cry any moment. "However we lost against Niiyama Joshi. As captain, I want to say that we did our best as a team, but we didn't. Shiro came into the court late minute and Amu wasn't even there till the end... I hate to admit it but Niiyama Joshi was right. We don't have any teamwork much less a team."

"Kazue... that's not..." Seki mumbles wanting to comfort the captain and her friend, but couldn't.

"I felt like I failed my job as captain," Kazue says then turns to Shiro and Amu. "I want the two of you to be off the team for a while."

Their eyes widen in shock. "What! Why?!" They shout in sync.

"Amu's the one who came to the game later than me!" Shiro blunts out and a vein pops on Amu's head.

"You're the one who tricked me and locked--" Amu argues.

"Be quiet you two! Let the captain talk!" Nao shouts with a stern voice.

The two of them bite their tongues down and listen to the captain's words.

Why is she removing them temporarily? What is Kazue thinking for making this decision by punishing the two?

"Shiro. Amu. Your skills in volleyball are great and I am proud of you two, but I want you two to learn what teamwork means. Even if I were to lecture or scold you for what happened today, you two wouldn't learn from it unless you learn from it from yourselves." Kazue says then turns to Shiro. "Shiro your skills as a volleyball player are great, but you shouldn't be looking down on others. Instead, you should work together with teammates." She turns to Amu. "On the other hand, Amu you're the rookie volleyball player that always surprises me, but you need to realize that there's a team behind your back. We could have won together, but you decided to finish the match on your own. I think that it's best for you to take a look around those who are around helping you rather than act alone."

"Kazue... are you sure about this? Amu and Shiro are some of our best spikers in the team," I try to defend both of them but Kazue shakes her head.

"My decision is final. Who knows maybe I am thinking about this in the wrong way, but I want to stick to this," Kazue answers and turns back to them. "You two are not banned from volleyball just the team until you understand how to communicate better with each other and those around you. Once you do that then you can come back to the team. Do you understand?"

"Yes..." Shiro and Amu answer.

"Good. We will manage without you two for the time being. I know and could tell that you two have a rocky relationship so I want you to know what volleyball is about. It's not about who's right or wrong. It's about getting along with each other's as players and fighting together for every point. To be one entity and not a scattered group of girls on the court," Kazue says and they reluctantly nod their heads.

"Right," they quietly answer.

After changing my clothes, I check the time on my cellphone.

Maybe just maybe Shoyo's match is still taking place. If I go, I can support him... but also to see if my father went over there to watch Natsuki over me.

I shake my head. No, I shouldn't think like that.

"Kimiko where are you going?" Nao asks me as she sees me rushing to put everything in my bag.