17. Amu Kawasaki

Kimiko POV

"Is it her? Natsuki Serizawa's sister?" A girl whispers as I pass by the first year building halls.

"It is. She came back after being absent from school for two weeks. How unbelievable~" her friend adds.

The girl clicks her tongue. "I know right. Ditching school without getting in trouble with the teachers? It must be nice being so privileged."

I frown. The moment I come back to school and I hear this crap. These girls do know that I can hear them right? They aren't even whispering.

In the past, I would've held my tongue but not anymore.

"You two—!" I turn around, but before I could snap back. Someone huge bumps into me and I fall down on the floor. "Hey watch where you're—!" I look up and see Ushijima standing there.

"Kimiko you're back?" Ushijima calmly states as he sees me on the floor.

I blankly stare at him. "I am..." I answer.

Ushijima turns to the two girls. "You two over there." He calls out and they flinch.

"Y-Yes!" They nervously answer just being in his presence.

"You two shouldn't be gossiping behind her back. That's rude," Ushijima states and looks over to me. "And her name is not Natsuki Serizawa's sister, it's Kimiko." He glares and the girls' faces pale.

"W-We're sorry!" They apologize and quickly run away.

I sigh. Ushijima, that blockhead is too extreme but sweet at times like this.

I remember Natsuki told me one time that when the two of them ran for volleyball warm-ups, Ushijima helped a kid being picked on by a bunch of bullies by threatening them that if they continue then he was going to call the police. The bullies were so scared that they cried but Ushijima didn't let it go and stared down at them, till they apologized. It ended up with them crying more in fear of him and Natsuki had to intervene before someone called the police on Ushijima instead.

"Thanks." I tell him as I get myself up from the floor.

"No problem," he calmly answers. "But it seemed like you had things taken care of even if I didn't say anything."

I chuckle. "Still, it's nice to have some support," I admit. "... Wait a minute, what are you doing in the first year building?" I ask realizing that something wasn't right about this scene.

Why is he in a first year building when he's literally a third year? His building is on the other side.

"I'm trying to make a friend," Ushijima states.

"Huh?" I stare at him skeptically. "With who?"

"Amu Kawasaki," he answers and shows me a picture of her.

My eyes widen. I recognize that girl. She's the tall girl who ran some laps for me in PE.

Wait why does he have a picture of her? Before I can ask, Ushijima then takes out a book. "By using this book, I will be able to become friends with her."

He hands me the book and the moment I see the title, my mouth drops.

How to Build a Strong Relationship by Jun Tsukiyomi.

What is Jun doing in his life???

"Are you sure this is a friendship book?" I ask as I skim through the book.

"Yes," he nods his head seriously.

I close the book.

....