19. Connecting a Team

Kimiko POV
(A Few Days Later ~ After school)

I take in a deep breath and exhale out to relieve the tense nerves in my body. This is the first official volleyball practice game that I'm playing in for this team and I'm the setter.

...

I know this was supposed to be the position that Natsuki would be in if she went to Shiratorizawa instead but I have to make her proud so that one day she'll see me on TV and would want to come home.

Even though I already know the chances of that ever happening is quite slim. I hope that it can happen one day.

"Oh my gosh Ushijima is such a gentleman!" I overhear a girl squeal.

"I know right he's so good with kids just look at him," another girl adds in.

"He's so perfect. I want a boyfriend like him," a girl fantasizes.

I frown. What's that blockhead Ushiwaka doing here with kids? I look over and my eyes narrow.

Wait a minute they look like... I turn to Amu. "Are those yours and Ushiwaka's—"

"No!" Amu bluntly denies.

As a result of our team's girls putting all their attention towards Ushijima rather than on our match, the first point went to our opponents.

"Hey we have game. Let's focus," Amu straightforwardly tells the girls distracted by Ushijima and I can sense the girls throwing daggers at Amu with their eyes.

"What do you know Amu? Ushijima is one of the top 3 volleyball players and is from a rich family. He's such a gentleman. He never comes here so let us gawk over him. We can play a volleyball match any other time. It's not like it's the Interhigh preliminaries. Don't act like you're all great," Shiro says in a haughty manner as she slightly pushes Amu to agitate her.

I slightly frown. Why is Shiro acting like this? When I first met, she was pretty sour on me but with Amu it's like pure hatred. I wonder why?

"I'm not all that great. I know that, but I don't gawk over that Ushi-wacko. When it comes to volleyball I'm serious about it. I want to improve myself to be a better player. I believe Ushijima has the same feelings towards volleyball and if he sees a good volleyball player he would be attracted to that player because they are alike in that manner rather than some obsessed girl." Amu argues back and the girls start to whisper among themselves.

Kazue claps her hands to get the attention of all the girls. "Now girls. I agree with Amu. The volleyball game is important because the Interhigh preliminaries are coming up and we need to focus on the game."

"Right," the girls shout.

"Talk about desperate fangirls." I mumble.

I could tell that the girls that aren't the starting players can care less of what Kazue just said and would rather stare at Ushijima all day.

"Hahaha girls are funny because they're like that," Seki laughs.

"Not even," I mutter.

The match continues and luckily we won the second and third point by a small margin. We did end up winning the match, but all these girls only began to take the game seriously to impress Ushijima.