12. Just a Dream

Kimiko POV
(In the past ~ Six years ago)

I happily sit on the wooden bench kicking my feet in the air as I watch my older sister and Ken play volleyball outside together.

I don't often get the chance to see Natsuki since she's always in her studies but whenever Natsuki is able to take a break to play volleyball with Ken, I would sneak away from my mother and watch them.

Natsuki tosses the volleyball up in the air and Ken easily spikes it down. 

"Nice!" Natsuki pumps her fist with a satisfied grin on her face.

My face lights up fascinated by Natsuki's smile.

When Natsuki came here, she didn't crack a smile at all and even now when she's around mom and dad she would never show that kind of expression. Yet when she's playing volleyball or piano, she would always have a radiant smile.

I clench my chest seeing her play so freely. I want to play with them... I always watch them play from the sidelines, but I want to do what Natsuki likes to do so she can smile like that more often. I want to be a part of the world she's in.

"Natsu-nee can I try?" I ask.

"Pffft. Aren't you too young to play Kimiko?" Ken jokingly teases as he messes with my hair and I push his hand away.

"No I'm not!" I shout. "Mom says I can grow up fast and gives me big kid classes to catch up to Natsu-nee," I argue. "You just want Natsu-nee to yourself."

"Uh. That's not true..." Ken hesitates not knowing what to say.

"Playing with us, why not?" Natsuki chuckles and tosses the volleyball to me. "The more players the better right?"

"Natsu-nee!" I run over and give Natsu-nee a big hug. "I won't let you down."

(30 minutes later...)

"You should take a break Kimiko," Natsuki advises and I shake my head.

"Don't worry Natsu-nee! I got it this time!" I grin.

"If that's what you say," Natsuki sighs and tosses the volleyball up. I get into position ready to set the volleyball to Ken. I put my hands up but being a second too late, the volleyball passes my fingertips and lands on my head.

"Pffft. Hahahahahaha," Ken bursts out laughing and I glare at him.

"It's not funny," I pout and Natsuki pats me on the head.

"It's fine, it's your first time playing. I was like that too when I first started but now I love playing volleyball," Natsuki comforts me and hands me the volleyball. "Just to warn you though. Volleyball is the type of sport that once you get hooked into it, you can never stop. Are you still willing to play?"

My eyes widen. "Of course!"

The three of us played together for hours and every second we had together was precious. I didn't want this time to end, but whether I wanted it to or not. The time we had to ourselves had to end.

"Kimiko!" I hear my mom call out.

I turn around and I could see my mom smiling at us, yet I already knew that smile was venomous and was filled with pure hatred towards my sister. I glance over to Natsuki and see the fear in her eyes as my mom got closer to us.