Photograph

It's barely 7:00 pm but the air and sky outside, were as dark and cold as if midnight. Lots of stars have appeared too. And in that cold stood Kris, vigorously banging on the door.

"Good evening young master-" the butler greets him with a bow. Unfortunately, Kris wasn't in the mood for greetings and so just pushed himself through.

"Where is she?" He glares at Mr.Lein, the butler who stands dumbfounded, "WHERE'S MOM?"
"Your mother asked not to be disturbed."
"WHERE IS SHE???" He yells stomping through the hallway, until Mr.Lein's calm voice cuts him off, "Second floor, in the art room."

Kris's (POV)

I push the door open and see my mother sitting at a small wooden table, her back towards me. She's humming a song she always sings whenever she's happy.

I slowly approach her and wrap my arms around her back. "How long have you been standing there?" She asks and I take in a deep breath. "I missed your hugs." I tell her and she looks at me surprised. "Are you drunk?" She asks, "you reek of alcohol."

"I tried to, but it didn't work ."
"Strange, it usually took you a glass to get knocked out." She laughs and I sit beside her, looking at the stuff placed on the table.
"What are you doing?"
"I was making an album." She smiles pushing it to me, "It contains all my favorite photos."

I open it and the first thing I see is our family photo. Back when mom and dad were young and Mia was a kid, while Ted and I were still babies. It was the day we went to our uncle's beach. I don't remember it of course, but I've heard constant stories of how, Mia caught her first fish that day. And how Ted went to potty by himself, and I said my first word. It was time for my nap, so I tried to say 'sleep' but since I couldn't pronounce it that well, I ended up saying 'sheep' repeatedly.

As I continue flipping the pages I see photos of events I no longer remember. My first day of school, Mia's middle school graduation, first trip, Ted winning an award for boxing, high school and college graduations, birthdays, New Years, our first paychecks.

"I remember this." I laugh, looking at Mia's wedding photo. She cried so much, and was so angry the wedding almost got cancelled. My mom laughs with me, probably remembering that day as well. I flip the page once again and see......

....................David.......

She's looking at some sort of African doll. "It was from the time in Nigeria." Mom says and I look at her confusedly, "I didn't know you took pictures."
"Well the best photos are the ones taken unnoticed right?" She asks and I look back at the photo....... I don't wanna see you right now.

(Play the song)

I flip the page and there she is again....except this time with me. It was when we were in that old shop at the market. She made me try traditional African clothing even though I didn't want to- "I thought you said, this contains all your favorite photos?"

"I really like this one," she says touching the photograph, "her smile." I slowly move my mom's hand away and stare at the photo. She's wearing African clothing too and smiling at me, only I'm not smiling. I'm not even looking at her.... I don't even know where I'm staring.

Is this how she always looked at me?

I push the album away and angrily look at mom, "You know I took her for a drive today, and we got into an accident."
Mom doesn't say anything which angers me even more. She touches my forehead and my tough act breaks, "it's like, no matter what I do....she ends up hating me." I breathe out the words placing my head on the table, "Ted says..... I should just let her go."