Fireflies

Hmmmmmm! That smell....so....so....delicious.
What is it? It reminds of that time I was in Mahwili, when Amwalo was giving me a tour. Surrounded by all those coffee beans.
Coffee beans?........

Coffee!

I open my eyes and roll to the side but fall off. Damn! I forgot it's a sofa, not a bed. I quickly stand up, checking all around for Kris, making sure he didn't see me fall. Last night with the pants was more than enough. I don't see him anywhere, so I follow the smell of coffee to the kitchen. And sure enough, he's there, brewing it. He is also humming a song. Now that's something you don't see everyday.
"Good morning." I tell him sitting my self on one of the chairs.
"Did you crack it?" He asks focused on the coffee.
"Huh?" I ask confusedly.
"The floor. Did you crack it? When you fell."
".....you...saw...that?" Why? He is never going to like me this way. Why did he have to see me fall?

Kris's (POV)

".....you...saw...that?" She asks me. Of course I did, and not only that. I even recorded it on my phone. I can now re-watch it anytime.
"What do you think?" I tell her, and from the side of my eye I can see her hitting her head on the table from embarrassment. Hah! I smile to myself. As I thought, living with that idiot will be fun. At least for me. I sit on a chair across from her, and begin drinking. She is looking at me with hungry poor eyes, and to tease her more, I wave the mug at my nose smelling it's aroma.

David's (POV)

Jerk! Jerk! Jerk! Look at him, drinking so attractively. Is he shooting some type of commercial? To be drinking like that. I also want coffee. Will he give me?
"Umm...Kris?"
"What?"
"Aren't you forgetting something?"
"What?"
"Me! Me! You're forgetting me! I also want coffee!" I nag to him.
"Then go and buy your own." He says taking a sip.
"I'm not gonna go now. Just give me one cup."
"No!"
"Hey! I'm the one who got this coffee for you." I point to him.
"I paid for it."
"But I brought it to you. Which means you need to pay back."
"I won't give you any."
"Why????" I yell.
"Because you're not worth it. I can't waste such high quality coffee on something like you."
"Something? Did you just call me something?" I'm about to curse at him but my phone rings.

Kris's (POV)

She was about to swear at me wasn't she? She should thank God her phone rang, otherwise things would get difficult for that idiot. She is talking on the phone with such a serious expression that I've never seen before. I can't hear what she says, she covers her mouth when she talks. But who is she talking to? Boyfriend? No she doesn't have one. Diane? The call lasts for less than 30 seconds, so it can't be Diane. Who was it? She looks at me and asks, "Kris...can I get my salary in advance this month?"

David's (POV)

"So can I?" I ask him again and he just stares at me.
"No!" He answers coldly.
"Please Kris. It's important."
"What could be so important? Why do you want it in advance? Can't you wait 10 more days?"
"It's something important okay. If I could wait 10 more days I wouldn't ask you." I explain to him.
"No."
"No? Fine." I get up, wear my shoes and leave his house. I have to get the money one way or the other. But first I have to change. I can't keep walking around holding my pants.

Now that's better. I got home and changed into some of my own clothes. Oh how good it feels not having to hold onto my pants. I should gather my clothes, I'm still going back to Kris's house. But this time I'm going prepared, so nothing falls off this time. I start gathering my clothes when I hear a knock on the door. Who is it? Kris? Please not Kris. I open my door and there I see Ted standing with a single rose in his hand and a smile on his face.
"Good morning beautiful." He hands me the rose.
"..Ted! What a surprise. You should've told me you were coming."
"I did." He says coming inside, "but since I only have your house phone and you didn't pick up....it was hard to reach you."
"Oh sorry. I haven't been at home for a couple of days. Had to travel for work you know." I explain to him.
"I see." He says looking around, "what's with the suitcase? You're traveling somewhere?"
Shit! He saw me packing. What do I do? I can't tell him that I like Kris now. Just think of a good lie.
"Yeah...I'm going to live with my friend for some time."
"Really? What's wrong with this place?"
"........The rent." I squeeze out the words, "It's too high." Actually this is like the cheapest apartment in the whole city, if not country, if not world.
"Okay." He says looking at me, "I missed you."
"...Aah...really...?"
"Ever since our date, I've been thinking about you. I called but you didn't pick up. I came to your house but you weren't here." He says getting closer to me. I back away saying "..aha.."
"Are you avoiding me?"
"No..of course not. I told you, I had to travel and was busy with work."
"I mean now. Are you trying to avoid me now?"
"What are you talking about?" I ask still backing up.
"You don't have the same look in your eyes you always do. Your replies seem unnatural, and you keep going back every time I take a step forward."
"......." I swallow hard.
"Relax. I'm just playing." He laughs, and I feel more at ease.
"Oh hahah!" I laugh, "I should get going now though. I have an interview." I take my suitcase and head for the door but he stops me.
"Wait." He gets something out from his pocket, "I came to give you this." He puts a necklace around my neck. The strap is thin and on it's end hangs a single bead, in the shape of a firefly.
"Thank you." I say and try to leave hastily, but he grabs my hand and pulls me back.
"And this." He says and kisses me. I push him off. He looks at me shocked and I say, "Please, I'm in a hurry."