(1) A Little Bit of Trouble

Carli's POV

"What time is it?" I ask putting down my tablet and looking to my roommate and best friend, Hope Solo. She sighs and closes her book before turning to look at the alarm clock on the nightstand in between our beds.

"Nine-thirty, why? Weren't you just on your iPad? Couldn't you have checked?" she laughs. I smile and shake my head. I hadn't thought of that.

"You know I don't know how that thing works!" I say trying to make myself sound less silly.

Hope just laughs harder, "Carls it's at the top! It's not that difficult!"

I give her a playful glare, "Geez. Sorry not everyone's as technically inclined as the Mrs. Hope 'Baddest Keeper in the World' Solo." She rolls her eyes at the nickname. "I was asking by the way because Julie is supposed to come by here before she goes to sleep."

"Curfew isn't until eleven. Why would she be here now?" she asks confused. I guess I forgot to tell her. Oops.

"She was sluggish and whiney all day today in the weight room. She obviously hasn't been going to sleep when she's supposed to. She's exhausted. Dawn even mentioned something to me afterwards." I explain. "So to fix it I told Jay she would have her butt in bed by ten tonight and if I have to come sit in her and Moe's room to make sure I would."

"Carli," sighs Hope disapprovingly, "you're too tough on her. She's just a kid."

"She's twenty-three Hope-"

"She's practically a baby!" she says cutting me off. She starts to say something else, but gets interrupted by a knock at the door. Since I'm closest to the door I get off my bed, not before sliding my slides on first, and go to answer it. You never know what has been on the floors at a hotel. There could have been cockroaches. I shiver at the thought and quickly push it out of my head. I hate those little things. I open the door to be met with a freshly showered, wet headed Julie Johnston. Seeing that I was the one to get the door didn't do much good for the young blonde, she immediately starts to rub her hands on her pajama pants. A sure sign she is freaking out because her hands always sweat when she gets nervous.

"Hey Mama." she mumbles keeping her gaze on the floor. I move to the side to let her in.

"Hey kiddo." I say and give her a quick kiss on the side of her head as she passes me and goes straight for the comfort of her "mom". Hope smiles and quickly wraps her up in a hug and kisses her forehead.

"How's my J-bug tonight hmm?" she coos sitting down getting the both of them comfortable which means Hope sitting straight and Jay curled into her side with her head on Hope's chest.

"Okay." she whispers still looking down, but now instead of the floor she looks at the comforter of the bed.

"How was your day baby girl? Anything happen?" pries Hope while adjusting her so she has to look up into her eyes.  Julie is a terrible liar and she hates to disappoint her mother and Hope hates lying just about as much as I hate cockroaches. From my spot leaned against the doorframe of the bathroom I hear Julie hiccup meaning she's about to cry. We've gone through this too many times to count within this past month.

"I-I'm sorry Mommy!" cries JJ burying her head in Hope's shoulder. "Mama was mad and I got scared and-and-"

"Hey hey hey." soothes Hope glancing up at me with her eyebrows furrowed together. "Shh baby. Calm down. Tell Moms what happened." She sits her up and rubs her back until she starts to breathe better again.

"After Mama got on to me I was scared and upset so I was mean to Kelly and Alex. They kept asking me questions and joking about me being a slacker because I didn't lift a lot today. I got mad and snapped at them." Hope snaps her head up to look at me. She looks at me and then down at Julie and then back at me.