Chapter 58: Mom's Concern

Kendall and Addison get back to her parents' house just in time for dinner. Of course, the moment Addison walks through her grandparent's door, and she immediately starts babbling about her new friend Ollie.

          "Who's Ollie?" her mom asks.

           "It's Mr. Chris, mommy's friend," Addison smiles.

           "You saw Chris?!" her mother exclaims, eyes wide.

           "I did," Kendall answers. "He seems happy. Addison is in love with his dog, and he was so good to her," she sighs.

           "Why are you sighing?" her mother asks.

           "Seeing him with her just reminded me how great he would have been with Linley and how different life would have been. Not that I'd want to change anything, but you know."

           "Where's Russ tonight?" her mother asks.

          "He said he had other plans. He's not feeling like a father or boyfriend this week," Kendall shrugs.

           "When is it gonna end Kendall?" her mom sighs.

           "I can't end it. Addison and our future son need a father. I'm not denying them of that, I just take what I can get."

          "Kendall, you're unhappy."

          Kendall nods blinking back tears, "mom I know okay? I just can't do anything right now."

          "Can we get a puppy?" Addison asks her mother. Kendall shakes her head no. "Is daddy coming home tonight?" her daughter pouts.

          "I'm not sure baby. He's been very busy with work," Kendall says making the usual excuse.

          Her mother rolls her eyes and gets up to do the dishes. Addison runs into the living room to play with her dolls. As she gets up to help her mom, a text comes through—not recognizing the number. It's the bartender at the local watering hole that her boyfriend always finds himself in.

          "Mom I need Addison to stay with you tonight."

          "And why is that?"

          "Mom, please stop, you know exactly why."

           "That's fine," her mom says.

          Kendall pulls up to the bar, having no idea that Chris and his date are across the street at the newly opened Italian restaurant. She walks through the door, Russ yelling and barely making sense. When he sees her, he rolls his eyes, expressing to Kendall he doesn't want her there.

          "Well I don't even want to be here Chris, but they don't want you here," Kendall sighs paying his tab.

          "Chris? Who the hell is Chris?" Russ slurs.

          Kendall realizes what she said, "I don't know it just slipped. Come on let's go," pulling him out of the bar along with the bouncer.

           "Get off me," Russ pulls his hand away.

          "Come on pal," the bouncer sighs, pulling him out.

           Kendall walks to the driver side and gets in the car, already tired of Russ.

           "I don't understand why you act like my mom," Russ mumbles.

          "Because you don't know how to act your age and be responsible. Russ, I can't keep doing this. It's not safe for our kids."

          "Whatever Kendall. I don't want them anyway, you know that," Russ says, Kendall pulling into the driveway.

          "Yeah well, you sure didn't mind me getting pregnant did you? Get out."

          "Where are you going?" Russ slurs.

          "I'm not staying with you like this. I'm staying at moms tonight."

          "I don't give a shit if you come back," Russ exclaims opening the car door.

           "This is my house, not yours. When I get back tomorrow afternoon your stuff better be packed and out, got it?" Kendall yells.

          "Whatever bitch," Russ mumbles, stumbling into the house.

          Kendall pulls up to her mother's house ten minutes later. She walks inside as her mom is just putting Addison to bed.

          "You alright babe?" her mother asks.

          "A lot better. I told Russ I wanted him out. We are done this time, and I mean it."

          "Well it's about time," her mother smiles.

          "I'm gonna go say goodnight to Addison," Kendall says, making her way upstairs. She smiles when Addison looks up at her and walks over and lays down. She runs a hand through her hair, tearing up.

          "Why are you crying, mommy?" Addison asks.

          "I'm just a little sad that's all. Did you have fun today?"

          "Yeah I want to see Mr. Chris's dog again," Addison smiles.

          "Well we will try to see him next week," Kendall assures.

          "I wuv you," Addison smiles, wrapping her arms around Kendall's neck.

          "I love you too," kissing her daughter's head. "We better get some sleep princess, long day tomorrow," Kendall winks pulling the blanket over them both.