Chapter 32: Finally Talking

The next morning Kendall is awakened from her slumber, her alarm clock ringing in her ear, the time reading 7:45. She groans a little and sits up, running a hand through her hair as Chris is miraculous still asleep. After kissing his cheek, she takes a quick shower and putting on a high beige skirt and a white tank top, tucked in with a black jacket and cheetah print heels. She makes sure to kiss his forehead one more time before heading out to work—leaving Alex's spare key on the counter for Chris.

          She gets to her office, her phone notifying her of a message—thinking it's Chris.

          But it's Alex.

          "So we are really over?" the text reads.

         "I'm sorry Alex. I wish this wasn't over text but yeah we are."

        "What did I do wrong?"

         She calls the number, not wanting to talk over text message anymore.

        "Alex you didn't do anything wrong," Kendall sighs. "It was just moving too fast for me, and I could never see myself in the future with you."

        Alex sighs.

        "I'm sorry."

          The line goes dead.

          Waking up a few hours later, Chris reaches over and feels the empty spot next to him. Turning on his side, he reaches for his phone on the nightstand. The screen lit up with missed calls and texts from Kelsey—even a few voicemails. Chris sighs, closing his eyes and sitting up to lean against the headboard, returning her calls.

           "Chris..." she answers after a few rings.

          "Yeah?"

          "I don't even know what to say to you, sorry doesn't even fit. I should have told you I had questions. I didn't mean to make you believe he was yours."

        "Why didn't you tell me you were sleeping with that bastard?"

         "It was just a couple of times. I felt so guilty."

          "But not guilty enough to tell me?" Chris asks sternly.

          "I didn't want you to leave me," Kelsey sighs, but her voice hardens, "but don't think I don't know whose arms you went running to last night."

          "Don't turn this around right now."

          "I'm not. I realize my mistake was worse, well not a mistake but you know," Kelsey says, the baby crying in the background. "I know you are done with me, but I have nowhere to go right now with Mason, and all his stuff is at the house. Can I take him back to the house until I find a place...please, Chris?"

           "Malik's not letting you move in?"

          "We are still talking about it, but there is nothing for Mason there...the crib, clothes and everything."

           Chris sighs, running a hand through his hair, "Sure whatever fine. I'll stay with Kendall."

           "Thank you," Kelsey lets out the breath she was holding. "Chris it won't be long I promise, but don't feel like you have to stay away."

          "Okay, I'm gonna get off now," Chris says softly.

           "I'm sorry," Kelsey says before the line goes dead.

          Pulling his phone away from his ear clicking on his contacts and then to "Kendall" as he hits the green telephone icon. He presses his phone to his ear, waiting for Kendall to pick up hoping she isn't with a client.

          "Hey Chris," Kendall answers.

          "Hey," he smiles, "you wanna meet for lunch?"

          "You know I'd love to, give me an hour," Kendall smiles.

         "Okay, I'll meet you at the diner a block from your office."

         "See you then."

        "Alright I'll see you then," Chris smiles getting out of Kendall's bed and into the shower before heading to his place and grabbing a bag of clothes that way he doesn't have to hopefully face Kelsey.