Chapter 13: Turning Down the Company

After the ten minute drive back to the retirement party, he walks to the ballroom and sees Kelsey. She smiles when she sees him.

         "You didn't stay long," Kelsey observes.

          "I told you I wouldn't," Chris smiles, kissing her.

          "Yeah but we both know how you are with your friends," Kelsey laughs.

          Kelsey introduces Chris to the new marketing director as they shake hands, the man talking. Chris listens, not caring since he's not changing professions. Of course, Kelsey brings it up. She notices that Chris isn't playing along, she gives up.

          The night winds down as they get home a while later. Kelsey quiet the whole ride back, waiting for Chris to say something but nothing happens until they get home, both heading inside. Kelsey goes straight to bed. Chris watches her as he follows, undressing and sliding in beside her. He moves to cuddle against her, but being pushed away.

         Kelsey sits up, turning on the lamp. "What the hell is going on Chris? I'm trying to introduce you to new people, get you involved with the company. You acted like a complete jerk tonight."

          "I don't want to take over your father's company. How many times do I have to say that? I'm not changing my profession. He can leave it to you," Chris says sitting up.

          "Fine, you don't want to leave your business. You can do both half and half," Kelsey says. "Either way when we get married it's going to be partly yours anyway, so you need to know what is going on in it. I can't do it alone Chris."

          He shakes his head, not saying anything else as he lays back, closing his eyes. He does not want to argue.

          "Chris..." Kelsey says staring at him. She shoves him a couple of times, but not giving up and turning off the light. "Fine if you don't want to talk to me about this you know my dad is going to talk to you instead."

          "There's nothing to talk about because I have told you time and time again I do not want your dad's company...sorry."

          Kelsey doesn't answer, clearly upset and lays down. Chris rolls his eyes and turns on his side and closes his eyes. Every time she mentions getting married, Chris slowly doesn't want to.