Chapter 33: Chocolate Truffle Question

Walking down the street, the weather absolutely perfect, Kendall mentally curses at herself when she looks at the time, four minutes late. Opening the squeaky door, her face instantly lighting up when she sees Chris.

          "Hey sorry, my appointment ran a little long," Kendall apologizes, sliding into the booth across from him.

         "No big deal," Chris smiles, setting his phone down—Kendall's hair wind blow but still gorgeous.

          Kendall reaches across the table, sliding her hand into his and playing with his fingers. "Enjoy sleeping in? You have no idea how bad I wanted to stay in bed with you."

         "You should have just called off," Chris says.

         "I know I should have, so many regrets," she winks. "But I knew you needed your sleep and was exhausted."

         "So uh Kelsey called me."

         "What did she say?" Kendall asks slightly amused, their drinks arriving.

          "She asked me if she could stay at the house for the time being. I asked her why she wasn't staying with Malik, and they are working that out apparently."

           "Well I'm sure it was a surprise to Malik but Chris her family has a ton of money. I'm surprised they don't have a nursery at their house already."

          "I don't know, I think she's trying to hang onto me somehow, but I'm done with that," Chris responds taking a sip of his water.

         "What?" Kendall eyes a little wide. "Does she expect you to forgive her and raise a son that's not yours? Malik was so supportive of her when she was pregnant, so he better be there for Mason."

           "Yeah well," shrugging his shoulders. "I wish her the best, but I'm not getting involved with that."

          "Well you moved onto better things anyway," Kendall winks at him.

        "Yeah I did," Chris chuckles and digs into his food the moment it arrives.

       "So you told her she could stay?"

       "Yeah, for the time being, I told her it was fine."

        "That's nice of you babe, and I don't mind having you around," Kendall smiles at him, eating herself.

       "So that's fine if I stay with you for a bit?"

        "I think you know the answer to that."

        Chris smiles as they continue to eat, enjoying one another's company and making small talk. Finishing his food, he pushes the plate away and leans back to stretch as Kendall finishes.

          The waitress sets the check down, Chris grabbing it before Kendall, "I got this," winking at her and pulling out his debit card. The waitress walking away with both.

          "Are you ever going to let me pay?"

         "Probably not," Chris smirks.

          "Well thank you," sticking her tongue out at him as the waitress walks back over.

         They walk out, hand in hand, Chris walking the block back to Kendall's office with her. Once arriving, she leans up and kisses him, "Thank you again for lunch."

          "No problem," Chris smiles kissing her forehead. "I'll see you when you get home from work."

        "Sounds good. I'll try to get home a little early," Kendall informs, leaning up and stealing one more kiss.

        "Bye," Chris smiles as Kendall walks back in her office building—blowing a kiss to him. Chris smiles watching her, turning and walking the block back to his car, cooking up a plan.

        Towards the end of her day, she finishes with a few clients and making a few calls and orders for designs, happy with how relatively smooth the rest of the day goes. Once six o'clock rolls around, she locks up, ready to spend the rest of her night with Chris.

        After locking up she walks to her car, pulling her phone out and shooting Chris a text— "heading home...want me to pick up dinner?"

         She smiles with the reply four seconds later.

         "Already got it, just get here," the text reads from Chris.

          She smiles and gets in her car, heading back to her place. She gets the feeling that Chris has something up his sleeve. Pulling into the driveway, Chris's truck in the other parking space, getting out and grabbing her notebooks—letting herself in.

          "Chris?" she calls out, slipping off her jacket.

         "Yeah I'm in here," he calls out from the kitchen, also acting as a dining room.

          Undoing her hair and running her hands through it, she kisses Chris a couple of times, "hi."

         "Hi," Chris smiles sliding his hands on her hips—candles on the table and the table set.

         "Wow, dinner smells great what are you cooking?" Kendall asks seeing the candles. "This is so nice."

          "I'm making easy roasted salmon with salad and crispy potatoes," kissing her forehead and then walking to the fridge.

         "I am one lucky girl," Kendall winks, leaning against the counter.

        "I got some white wine too. You want to pour us a few glasses?" Chris asks finishing dinner.

        "Sure," Kendall smiles grabbing two wine glasses from the rack, uncorking the bottle and pouring the lightly colored liquor into the glasses. She takes a small sip and walks over to Chris, running her hand across his lower back and setting the glass down beside him.

         "Thank you," he winks at her. They both get themselves a plate full of salmon, salad and potatoes and grabbing their wine—sitting down at the dinner table.

          "Chris..." Kendall sighs after taking a bite, "this is sooo good. How have I missed out on this all these years?"

         "Well thank you," Chris chuckles and takes a long pull from his wine glass.

         Picking up her wine glass and looking over the candlelight at Chris, "You went all out, not that I don't love it."

        "There's a box on the counter for you," Chris says, wiping his mouth.

          "For me?" Kendall asks surprised and confused. She stands up and walks over to the box and taking it back to the table, opening it. Opening the box, noticing that they are her favorite chocolates, but also reading the message: "WILL U BE MY GF?"

        Her smile gets bigger seeing the message as she starts to nod, getting up and walking over to Chris, leaning down and kissing him, "of course and you remembered they are my favorite," reaching down and taking a bite of the chocolate truffle then offering Chris a bite.

        "Of course I remembered. You ate them all the time when we were younger," Chris winks, taking the other half that Kendall didn't eat.

        "Because they are the best," Kendall laughs. She leans down and kisses him, thinking that even though they've been hooking up for a bit, it's weird going from best friends to Chris being her boyfriend.