Chapter 5: Coffee Truce

Sitting at his desk about thirty minutes later, he is getting ready for his first client, a seventy-five-year-old woman named Shirley.

          Chris gets out of his chair and walks out to the lobby seeing her. "Well good morning gorgeous, how's the leg today?"

         Shirley stands up, walking with her cane, following Chris back to the activity room, "It's getting better thank you, Dr. Hamilton, still sore though," she sits down.

          "Well, that's why you come to me so we can start walking without that cane," Chris winks after her. "And remember you can call me Chris," looking at the folder and sitting down himself.

          "I sure hope so Chris," she smiles—sounding like she is trying his name out for the first time. She taps Chris's leg with her cane, "How come a good looking young man like you isn't married yet?" noticing no ring.

          "Baby steps Shirley. I actually am in a very serious relationship with my girlfriend."

          "Good, I couldn't imagine you being single," Shirley laughs. "She's a lucky girl."

           "Well, thank you, but I don't think your husband would appreciate you flirting with me Mrs. Smith," winking at Shirley.

          "Please honey, as much as my husband flirts I deserve some fun," Shirley sits up. "So what do you have for me today?"

          "Well, we are going to get on the bike and then we are going to do some stretches after that then you're done. Pretty easy day today."

          "Good I was hoping you'd say that. Last week was a bit tough," getting on the bike with Chris's assistance.

          Making her way back towards her house, walking this time Kendall slows down and comes up to the building once more. She takes in the surroundings, the newer area that has gotten revitalized in the years she's been gone. Noticing a Starbucks across the street, she walks down and gets both her a coffee and Chris walking back to the building just as he is helping an elderly woman.

          "Kendall?" Chris smiles.

         "Good morning Dr. Hamilton, you could use some coffee it looks like," Kendall smiles—handing him the cup.

         "Well, thank you," taking a sip. "What do I owe the pleasure?" Chris asks as they walk back in and to his office.

          "Well, I was running by earlier and was surprised by the sign, and on my way back I really wanted to stop by and apologize for last night, and I'm using coffee as a truce."

          "Thank you and don't worry about it, if anybody is apologizing it's me apologizing for Kelsey."

          Kendall shakes her head, "Well no you shouldn't have to apologize for her, she needs to apologize for herself..." stopping herself from saying anything. "You know I'm not that kind of person, and I didn't want you to think I changed. I'm glad you're happy."

          "Thank you because I am, but I have missed you though, three years."

          "Good," Kendall nods, "and I know it's been a while." She looks around, "I mean look at this place, you've done great for yourself."

          "Thank you," Chris smiles. "So what are you doing now?"

           "I spent a few years in New York City working at one of the top interior design firms," taking a sip of her coffee. "You know I'm not a city girl, so eventually I was ready to come home, and I am starting my own firm here next week."

          "That's awesome. You were always good at drawing stuff. Nobody swept you off your feet in New York?" Chris asks winking.

          "No," shaking her head, "I ended my relationship before I came home."

            "Oh, how come?"

          "He um, he was about to ask me to marry him. I didn't want that life."

          "That life?" Chris asks confused.

          Kendall laughs, "No you know I want to get married. I just didn't see a life with him. I loved him, but not enough I guess and then just trying to live the NYC high life with event after event always being perfect, it's just not me."

          "Are you sure because if I remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong—you're kind of a perfectionist," Chris winks, leaning back in his chair.

          "I am!" Kendall exclaims blushing. "And that life wasn't in my perfect vision, being here was. So here I am, what about you? I saw no ring last night so when are you asking?"

         "Um, I don't know to be honest with you. She keeps hinting it, and before I left the house, she thought I already bought a ring because I told her mentioning it all the time is starting to get annoying."

          Kendall smiles, trying to hold back a laugh, "Well have you?"

         "No, I haven't. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet. Some days I am, some days no."

          "Are you sure she is the one?" Kendall asks, cocking her head.

          "Yeah," nodding his head. "I like to think so."

          Kendall's stomach flips a little, but she keeps her smile. "I know her, and I don't exactly get along, but I think that's great if you think that. She's a lucky girl," standing up. "Anyway, I'm sure you have a full schedule today. I should get going."

         "Thank you for the coffee," Chris stands up, knowing she's trying to get out of the conversation because of his talk about Kelsey.

          "You're welcome, also I do hope we can be friends. I've missed you through these years."

           "Of course," Chris smiles, Kendall walking to the door. "Oh, Kendall wait, what's your number? I don't have it anymore, you must have changed it," pulling out his phone.

         "I did change it when I moved to the city," taking Chris's phone and imputing her number. "I'm sorry I guess I forgot to let you know."

          "It's okay, I have it now," Chris smiles. "Um text me sometime, we'll go do something."

          "I'm basically free for the next two weeks before I start work, so you let me know when you are free," Kendall winks and heads out.