Sixty Eight

~Carmen~

Walking out of the ice-cream parlour on beach road with my chocolate mint pint, I crossed the road to the beach because I needed to relax for a while.

The smell of the ocean and the sand in-between my toes made me momentarily forget about what was going on in my life, but it wasn't before long that Jack was back in my thoughts.

I miss him, a lot. And there isn't a moment when he isn't on my mind. Our own one year anniversary is coming up in two weeks, and I honestly don't know what's going on between me and him. I mean, I want to call him, so badly, but like...I don't know. I mean, for all I know, he could be using this break to...explore other people.

As I walked across the abandoned boardwalk, I ate my ice-cream and just enjoyed the beach.

I couldn't help but smile a little as I thought of the one time Jack and I came here, just with the intention to have ice-cream and just walked around but instead we ended up messing around in the water, clothes and all.

Sitting down on a bench, I was seriously deliberating as to whether I should call Jack or not. God, having not heard his voice in seven weeks, I felt like I would probably cry if I were to call him and he were to answer.

"Mind if I sit down?" An all to familiar voice asked.

Looking up, I was faced with the beautiful dark brown eyes that belonged to Jack Gilinsky.

"Uh, yeah, go ahead," I said, motioning for him to sit down.

"How've you been?" He asked as we both looked straight ahead at the ocean.

"Not really okay," I said honestly.

"Yeah, same," He said. "I miss you," He mumbled.

"I miss you too," I said, turning to look at him.

"Carmen, I'm really sorry," He sighed. "I was an idiot to mess up what we have, and if I could take it all back, I would."

"Maybe it's my fault," I said, now looking down at my sandals. "What if I just wasn't good enough?"

"You've always been good enough! There's never been a doubt in my mind that you're the person that makes me happy, and you're the person I want to spend the rest of my life with," He said, taking both my hands into his.

I still didn't say anything, because I honestly didn't know what to say. He took my silence as an opportunity to keep talking.

"Remember all the good times we had? Us baking, just hanging out, unintentional swimming at the beach," He stopped with a small laugh, making me laugh as well, "but I know I fucked up, and I'm willing to try hard to fix it so that we can get back to what we used to be."

"I want us to be us again as well," I said, looking up at him.

"Without you, I literally haven't been me. I haven't been sleeping properly because whether my eyes are open or closed, you're the only thing I see. It kills me to see other couples together when I know that it could be us," He said.

"Seven weeks without you has been hell on earth for me," I admitted.

"Please can we try again?" He asked. "I promise I won't mess it up again."

"Me and you forever?" I asked quietly.

"Me and you forever," He repeated with a smile, and then pressed his lips against mine. As we kissed, I realised just how much I really missed and craved his touch.

"So, I know we didn't exactly come here to swim, but what do you say we head down to the mermaid pool and relive old times?" He asked with a cheeky grin.

"Yeah, okay," I grinned as we both stood up and made our way down to the mermaid pool. I was beginning to become happy because I was glad I had worn shorts and not the skinny jeans I was planning on wearing.

"We should do this often," He said as we splashed around in the water.

"What? Go swimming with our clothes on?" I asked with a laugh.

"Or go swimming without them," He smirked, causing me to roll my eyes at his sexual humour. But then again, I'd rather hear that than be apart from him again.

"You're a pest, Gilinsky," I said as he pulled me closer to him. "But you're my pest."

"I love you so much, babygirl," He said, pressing his forehead against mine.

"I love you more," I said with a smile before his lips were pressed against mine again.

Being apart from Jack made me realise that I would never want to be with anybody else rather than him.

*****
Hah, I kept telling Carmen that she and Jack weren't gonna end up together again and that she was gonna die alone with a guine