Forty Six

~Taylor~

A week later, I waited eagerly for the arrival of the results from the lab.

After I had phoned the lab, I had driven down there and handed in the sippy cup and was told that the results would be ready in a week which ment that was today.

Walking downstairs to the lobby, I headed over to the mail boxes and I was rather relieved and nervous. Grabbing the envelope, I then headed back to my apartment.

A thousand thoughts went through my head as my fingers played with the flap of the envelope. What if Bev was telling the truth and Tait is my kid? God, this could ruin everything. My career, my relationship with Heather, everything.

Deciding not to ponder any longer, I opened the envelope.

Negative.

I exhaled a breath as I read what was typed at the bottom of the page. Tait has no relation to me, whatsoever.

That bitch was lying.

Suddenly the feeling of relief was over shadowed by anger. How dare Bev try and pull something like that over me? I mean, did she really think it would work.

On the coffee table still lay the piece of paper with Bev's number. Picking it up, I typed the digits into my phone and then pressed the call button.

The phone rang twice before it was answered.

"Hello?" Bev's voice said through the receiver.

"Bev, its Taylor," I said.

"Oh Taylor, hi," She said.

"Are you busy or can we meet up?" I asked, wanting to get this over and done with so that I never had to interact with her again.

"Oh, yeah, sure," She said.

"Meet me at the coffee shop on seventh avenue in twenty minutes," I said.

"Okay, sure," She said. "Oh, and Taylor, I -" She began to say, but I had already ended the call.

After showering and getting dressed, I left for the coffee shop. When I had gotten there, I found that Bev and Tait were there waiting for me.

"Taylor, hi," She said, smiling a bit.

"Hi," I said bitterly.

"I didn't think you'd call," She said.

"I almost didn't," I said, resisting the urge to glare at her.

"Taylor, I know that its a lot to take in, but I didn't want Tait growing up without his father anymore," She said.

"He's not my son," I spat, glaring at her.

For a moment it looked as though there was a spark of fear in her eyes.

"He -he is. After we broke up -" She began to say, but I cut her off.

"DNA doesn't lie!" I said, handing her the envelope with the results in it. "Did you think you could get away with this? God, what the hell were you thinking?!" I asked harshly.

"Where did you get this? Th-there must be a mistake! Tait is yours!" She argued.

"The main reason we broke up was because you cheated! So obviously, that explains why he isn't mine!"

For a moment she was silent.

"Why'd you do it, huh? Why'd you lie?" I asked.

"Taylor, you don't get it, do you? After we ended things, I was heartbroken. I didn't know how to get by without you. Then Tait came along and I knew he would ruin any chances that I would possibly have of reconnecting with you," She protested.

"You, are disgusting," I spat, standing up. "To think that you could try and ruin almost everything. God, I hope to god I never see you again."

Her blue eyes were wide with shock and hurt, but I didn't care.

As I drove away from the coffee shop, I only just started to realise how badly all of this had scared me. What would I have done if she was telling the truth? God, it would have ruined everything Heather and I worked so hard for in our relationship.

Heather. Its just her. She's the one I want to have children with. She's the one I want to grow old with. She's the one I want to be with forever. And the fact that Bev could have ruined all of that freaked me out.

Stopping at the local florist shop, I picked up two bouquets of daisy's for Heather because I know they're her favourite.

When I had arrived at the girl's apartment, the door was opened by Caitlin.

"Hey, Taylor," She smiled at me.

"Hi, Cait. Is Heather here?" I asked her.

"Yeah, she's in her room," She nodded, opening the door wider and letting me in.

As I walked through the doorway of Heather's room, I couldn't help but smile at the sound of her singing. She has an amazing voice, and I never cease to tell her that.

"Hey, beautiful," I said with a smile.

Her brown hair flipped as she looked up to me.

"Oh, hey babe," She grinned, closing her laptop and getting up to hug me.

"These are for you," I said, handing her the two bouquets of flowers.

"Thank you. They're stunning," She said, then kissed my cheek.

"I love you," I whispered as I hugged her again, tighter than before, "I love you so much. Never forget that."

"I promise I won't," She whispered back.

Heather is my world, and I swear to god I won't mess this up, ever.