Fifty Five

~Caitlin~

This afternoon I was still feeling pretty bleak about the thing that had happened on New Years Eve. Even thought it was almost a week ago, my paranoia has definitely been sparked. In the past six days, I've heard Cam speaking to whoever this Stella girl is multiple times over the phone and about this secret that they need to keep from me.

I really don't want to believe that Cam's being unfaithful, but he doesn't make it exactly hard to believe. But when he isn't on the phone, he's the best boyfriend on the planet. But you know what they say, the unfaithful are always the sweetest.

But god, I'm maybe just getting ahead of myself. But then again, what well-kept secrets could be any good.

**

"Cait! Over here!" Shawn's voice called as I walked into the Olive Garden restaurant.

"Aye, Mendes! Long time, no see," I said as I approached him.

"You saw me like five days ago," He laughed as he hugged me.

"Which was like forever ago," I defended with a laugh as we sat down.

Shawn and I made plans to meet up for lunch today because I hadn't seen him in ages. He and I are actually pretty good friends, and besides Cam, he's the one I'm closest to out of all the boys.

After ordering, we made simple conversation.

"Okay, what's up with you?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You just seem really bleak," He observed.
"I'm not," I told him.

"Cait, I know you Asian people are really smart and all, but you're really bad liars," He laughed.

"Nothings wrong," I reassured him with a laugh. But he wasn't buying it and by now, his stare was burning into me. "Okay!" I sighed.

"What's bugging you?" He asked.

"Cam," I answered with another sigh.

"Why? What did he do?" He questioned.

I then began to explain to him about what I had heard Cam talk about on New Years Eve and in the past few days.

"So you think he's cheating on you?" He asked when I had finished telling him.

"No, its just that -" I stopped, not knowing how to explain it properly. "I just don't trust him," I said quietly.

"I see why," He said, sighing.

"Am I an awful girlfriend for not trusting her boyfriend?" I asked.

"No, of course not," He said. "I totally get where you're coming from. I mean, obviously your mind is going to wonder if he keeps talking about some or other secret that needs to be kept from you."

"But Shawn, what if he is? What if he is cheating on me?" I asked, suddenly feeling a lump in my throat start to form.

"Cait, don't think like that. There must be a reasonable reason for all his secrecy. Because I know Cam is deeply and crazily in love with you and he wouldn't do anything to jeopardise your relationship," He said.

"I really wish I could believe that, Shawn," I said, "I really wish I could."

But still, the only thought in my mind was a thought I never thought I would ever have.

I don't trust my boyfriend.

~Cam~ (a few hours later)

I couldn't help but be particularly chuffed with myself as I entered my house and then headed into the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee.

I've just organised with the venue for mine and Cait's one year anniversary that happening in March. I want that night to be so perfect. Nothing can go wrong.

I'm working with my cousin, Stella, who is an events planner. I mean, I don't know the first thing about planning an anniversary. I've never been with a girl long enough to have to plan one.

After doing nothing for a while, the doorbell went.

"Yo, Shawn, sup man," I greeted Shawn as I opened the door.

"Hey," He nodded as he entered the house.

"What brings you by?" I asked. "Not that I might you popping up and whatnot."

"Dude, you need to talk to Cait," He said.

"Huh? About what?" I asked.

"Dude, she's tripping badly because she feels like she can't trust you," He said straightforwardly.

"What are you talking about?" I questioned with a frown.

"Look, man, I don't know who this Stella chick is or whatever it is you guys are keeping from Cait, but she thinks you're being unfaithful," He told me.

"How does she know about Stella?" I asked, suddenly starting to freak out.

"Cam!" He hissed, smacking me.

"No, dude, that's not what I ment. I'm not cheating on her, I swear," I said.

"Then what is going on?" He asked.

"I'm planning something for our one year anniversary," I told him. "Stella's my cousin and she's helping me out with everything."

"Wait, so you're not cheating on her?" He asked, wide-eyed.

"No! I would never do that!" I protested.

"Well the amount of times she's heard you on the phone talking to this Stella person seriously has her freaked out," He told me.

"God," I sighed, running my hands through my head.

This was not how things were supposed to be.

"Dude, just try and reassure her that you love her and stuff, because she doesn't know what believe anymore," He said.

"Yeah, I'll do that," I mumbled.

God, the one time I try do something good, and my girlfriend ends up not trusting me.

Just fucking brilliant.