Into the woods

A/N: I'm very sorry, but I just started university. I might not be able to post like I want to (I might get writer's block every once in a while), because I have to get used to the university. everything's new. apologizes, but I will write, I will finish the story, all I ask is patience. Be patient with me.

Happy reading x)

[Also, we hit 7K on this story. yayayayayay!!! Now let's get to 10K x) ]

Chapter 38 – Into the woods

What do you say to the ghost of your past?

Are you going to pull them into an embrace and maybe give a peck on their forehead, or are you going to run from them until your feet are bleeding?

"So are we going?" Jocelyn urges me to give her an answer. I thank Lilly as she sets down a plate of pancakes in front of me.

I slept like a baby. Probably because nothing can top home – the pillow is softer here, the blanket is lighter and the room feels right, comfortable. Evan was sleeping on the floor like old times. Jocelyn was placed in Lilly's room. Mom left for work just as I came downstairs, still rubbing sleep from my eyes and got out a pathetic "mo'oning", and in the middle of saying that, I yawned.

Evan's ringtone woke me.

I helped Lilly with the pancakes while Jocelyn sat at the table. She was a guest, so it was okay for her to just sit and relax, while I yelled for Evan to come and help. He hadn't been a guest for a long time, more like a brother.

But he needed to take the call, because it was urgent. It was Lorcan. Evan specifically told me who it was. I don't know why he needed to specify that, I wouldn't have minded him going outside anyway.

"What?" Lilly wants to know. "What's going on?" She's persistent. "Tell me."

"We were thinking of going camping," Jocelyn turns to her and explains. A wicked grin appears on Lilly's face, I wouldn't have expected that from my little sister. "But the boys aren't sure." Lilly turned to look at me with her hawk eyes.

"Why are you not sure?" she frowns, a carton of juice in her hand. She steps closer and rests her arm on the back of my chair. I pull away, looking back at her. "It's sunny outside. You're here. Your friends are here. We could have a picnic. We could chill at a bonfire, or slightly smaller fire, whatever. We could have an actual adventure. Why are you not sure?" Her eyes are like a cat's. She's inspecting me, searching for any sign of doubt I have, so she could turn it around and convince me to say yes.

I shake my head. "I didn't say I wasn't sure."

She's staring at me in silence. Her finger twitches and I'm afraid she's going to drop the carton. "Is it about George?"

My eyes go wide in shock. "No!" I exclaim.

"You didn't see me being unsure when you were so in love with Madison!" Lilly rolls her eyes. She turns on her heel and pours apple juice into a cup which she hands to Jocelyn.

"Who's Madison?" Jocelyn interrupts.

Lilly waves her hand in the air. "Just a girl he was crazy about," she explains. "Back in the day when he wore all black and his hair was even messier."

Jocelyn laughs and bites into a pancake.

"I assure you this has nothing to do with George," I emphasize, but Lilly isn't buying it. What do I have to do? "I'm okay with going. Are you okay? Do you really want to spend the night in the woods?"