Coming home

Here you go, you are all very welcome. 

You are finally going to meet Howard's family. Briefly, but still. 

Give me feedback. 

Happy reading x)

Chapter 37 – Coming home

Escaping doesn't end.

It has always been my dream to be free, but it never happens. I keep looking forward to this magic tomorrow where everything works out, but it stays the same – it stays 'tomorrow'.

"Well, I am packed!" Jocelyn shouts from upstairs and runs down, backpack on and a sports bag in her hand. "Yes, we are going on a trip!" She laughs and hurries past me. Her hair is in a ponytail, which is unusual, but she takes it very serious. After all, she's about to meet my family.

The floor squeaks and I glance over my shoulder. Evan is leaning against the door frame, arms crossed on his chest.

"Is there any way to make her less cheerful?" he asks, lazily raising his eyebrow. "I'm pretty sure I'm going to need earplugs and a possible doctor's appointment after we've done all this driving around."

I snort. "You won't be able to tame her," I shake my head and throw my bag over my shoulder. We are ready to go, but I'm not sure I'm ready. "Feels weird to leave this place."

Evan shrugs. "You'll be back in no time," he says and pats me on my shoulder as I walk past him. He follows me. "Appreciate what you have, because you'll be missing everything when you're back in the classroom." I know he's right; it's just that in the moment, everything feels like it's no big deal.

Jocelyn starts the engine as I close the trunk. Evan opens the door for me and I climb in, riding shotgun. Jocelyn glances at me while searching for a good radio station. "Ready?" she asks with a smirk.

"Um, I guess-" but I'm cut off by Evan's loud voice, screaming 'yeah'.

I wince. "Next time you do this, maybe you could move a couple of inches away from my ear," I suggest as I try to get this ringing in my head to stop.

"You loved it," he laughs and reaches forward to turn the music up. "I am so ready!"

Jocelyn stares at him adoringly and snorts into laughter. "See? You should be like him. Don't bathe in your sadness that doesn't actually exist. We have to live for and in the moment," she nudges me and then pulls on the road.

As much as I hate to admit it, they are all right about this. I should just stop being me. But how does one do that?

Evan opens a bag of chips and closes his eyes. "This is awesome, guys," he mumbles, mouth full.

Jocelyn concentrates on driving and doesn't talk as much, but every once in a while she laughs at what Evan or I say, because we are like the black and white dog. Of course, I have gone back to my emo state, so I would be the black dog in that case.

"I'm so excited to go home!" he says right next to my ear and offers me the chips. I take some.

To be honest, a road trip sounds way more fun when you're planning it. The actual trip is just three people in a car, barely talking to each other. We mostly just listen to music, and I'm not complaining about that.

"Let's play twenty questions," Evan whines in the backseat. He just can't sit still. "But like infinite amount of questions. Let's just do something."

"Is your fantasy crushed? Our fun trip isn't fun anymore?" I ask and glance over my shoulder.

"My fun is gone, because you bring me down," he slowly says and bares teeth like an animal. "Just do as I say and we're good."