Chantal burbage

YoU ArE AN UGly MuGgLE. YoU doNt deseRVE sCorpIUs.

The fourth anonymous message I've had in a week. I don't know where they're coming from. Well, I have my ideas, but I can't accuse someone wrongly.

I drop the note in the fire and look in my tiny compact mirror. Still ginger, still speccy, still snub-nosed and freckly, still me.

"I wish I was pretty..." I sigh at myself.

I sense someone behind me, and turn round.

"You're beautiful." Scorpius.

"No I'm not."

"You are, stubborn girl." He laughs, lacing his hand in mine and dragging me on the carriage to hogsmeade.

"I need some owl pellets for my ingrid." I say, queueing up for the carriages.

"Sure, I need a feather treatment for sparky." He said. Sparky is his beautiful tawny owl, who rather looks like him.

We pile into the carriage, next to a thin girl with blonde hair. She sits rigid with her hands folded neatly on her lap, which was covered in a thick brown cloak.

She nods her head gently to acknowledge us, but does not make any attempt to converse.

"Hello, I'm Ariana potter, and this is my boyfriend scorpius malfoy." I say, making a bright stab at conversation.

"I know." Her voice is calming, but with a slightly shaky edge.

"So who are you?" I ask, smiling serenely.

"Chantal burbage."

Oh. Oh. Her grandmother was one of the last to be killed by Voldemort.

I sit up straight and nod gently. The rest of the journey is awkward and silent. When we get to hogsmeade I grab scorpius' hand and try to drag him off the carriage before chantal takes my empty hand in hers.

"Thank your father for me."

I am taken aback. "I will." I vow, hopping off the carriage and giving an approving nod to the girl.

"Well, I'll see you round, potter girl."

"Yes, maybe."