Christmas part II

"Wanna know what I got you?" Scorpius asks, handing me a package tied in pink silk ribbon.

"Sure." I pull one end of the soft ribbon and the package falls apart.

Inside is another, smaller package wrapped in silk. And another, and another, until the package is the size of about six ten-pence pieces stacked on top of each other. So very small. I pull the ribbon one last time and it slithers to the floor, leaving a tiny, tiny ring.

Just big enough to fit on my ring finger, made of silvery gold metal, with a small Blue diamanté heart in the centre. It has tiny words engraved on the inside, 'I love you, Ariana'. I slip it on without words and stare, speechless.

Strong hands grasp my waist and his soft voice whispers, "It's true."

I am pulled into a standing position and his arm winds around my shoulders. A kiss is planted on my cheek.

"Little flirt." I tease, walking out of the portrait hole.

"Wait!" Scorpius runs after me, laughing loudly, the quick barks that take my heart away.

"Let's go eat, please, I'm starving to death here!" I say, pulling his hand.

"Okay, okay." He laughs, running too.

I hand him his present. It's a little tiny gold deathly hallows sign, on a minute chain. I found it on a curiosity stall back home.  He acts thrilled, but maybe he thinks I want him to congratulate dad or something. It is the sign that's used whenever describing dad.

"You know, the deathly hallows one."

"Oh yes, that guy, the one who did the deathly hallows."

I mean, really? Is it necessary to basically put my dad under a label?

"Don't you like it?" I whimper timidly.

Scorpius' POV-

"Yes, it's beautiful, I love it!"

Secretly all I want is to make her happy. It's what she deserves. It's what I deserve.

Surely all the pain, all the suffering I've went through is enough... I see Ariana's life as an untarnished shining diamond. Mine was a diamond when mum was alive, but each struggle I've been through since then makes it turn from diamond, to crystal, to glass, to sugar and finally to salt.

Each heartache breaks a part of me, and Ariana hasn't had that. I look at her now, and don't see the beautiful girl with a beautiful personality. I see her life, beautiful and happy.

Whereas mine? Cursed and rotten.

I love her, I know I do. But I can't help the twinge of jealousy in the corner of my mind. Her future is free and untamed. All I can see in front of me is the letter giving me the day of my father's release from Azkaban.